2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying my first Ram!! Does this check out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any time you buy a used truck expect to put a couple thousand extra dollars into it. the repairs aint THAT expensive, aside from the tranny, if you do it yourself. These trucks are a breeze to work on, due to all the room. Dodge is the best. Do your research and youll see that the fords suck, and the chevys are even ****tier. Look at their 16 billion dollar losses this quarter. You see dodge doin that?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

btw that is a NICE lookin sport. id jump on it.

if yall dont like your trucks so much, then sell em! I bought my truck for 3k dollars, no major problems. Its all about how the first owner took care of it.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 AM
bobboraze
Rookie

The deal is to go through tomorrow morning, yet I am getting a little nervous about the entire thing.

The truck is gorgeous and has a great history, yet I'm just not sure. I hate the idea of purchasing something through a dealership, let alone not being able to see the car first. I don't exactly need a truck until next spring and really haven't looked for too long. I'm paying more for leather and the upper console etc. In reality I could find a cheaper one down the road and install brand new leather seats and other amenities myself.

Everything would be fine until I saw these two pictures again.

It honestly appears as if someone had spray painted over the surface rust underneath the car. Now the previous owner could have easily done this for cosmetic or rust preventive purposes, yet this brings me to my next picture.

At the rear of the vehicle the hitch is installed for viewing purposes. Yet as I look closely, I see that the actual hitch pin itself has been painted black. This was quite troubling. Towing my own boat and many other trailers for quite some years now, myself and other towers never would leave the hitch installed when not actually towing. (someone could take it, etc) As well I highly doubt the pin was painted black for cosmetic purposes. This would leave the likely scenario that before taking pictures for the sale, they went over the vehicle and quickly spray painted over a bunch of areas.

Now I could clearly be overreacting and looking way into things, maybe people do leave in their hitches all the time and paint them black... Something hidden like this would just simply bother me more than anything. I really don't even mind some rust. In the end the car does indeed only have one owner etc.

Anyone that has any thoughts on this please let me know. I'm very **** and paranoid about everything and maybe this simply isn't the right time. With the money saved on gas I could probably shave 1k if I bought next spring. Or maybe this is a rare hell of a deal that I shouldn't pass up. I realize now I've just written a novel. Either way thank you to everyone thats given such great input thus far.

Last edited by bobboraze; 08-13-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 AM
bobboraze
Rookie

oh and this is what I was talking about.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:36 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would move on if you have ANY doubts. I would also have to see/feel/drive the truck before I could ever buy it.

best of luck

Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Super Swampers plus it looking like it's spray painted underneath would lead me to believe it may very well have been beat on. I'd probably stay away.

However, I do always leave my drop hitch in but I do have a lock pin in there and it's not painted black either.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

just go check it out. most dealerships will try to touch up spots to make it more appealing. Doesnt nescessaraly mean they are tryin to cover somethin up. I leave my hitch in all the time, serves as a step to get in the bed. I wouldnt worry that someone has painted the pin.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

That's the problem I think. It sounds like he is buying it over the net and going to have it shipped to him. It would be very easy for them to cover up problems in photo's too. I really like that truck and it does look nice but I have to say I don't think I'd buy it.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

I've decided to let this one go. Which was really not easy to do. Yes I would be buying from Florida and shipping to Illinois, $8700 in the end.

The car is originally from New York its whole life and the dealer says he knows the owner well. In the end even though it really did only have one owner, that doesn't mean she wasn't beaten. Good point htman, the super swampers are a definite turn-off. Who knows why he had them, either way I would be using this on the highway a good amount which means I would have to get new tires asap.

Coming from just selling my car I know how easy it is to clean something up well, these trucks are going to look great in black regardless. Who knows what they're really trying to pull no matter how assuring they were. I'm going to wait to find one locally for 2-3k less, and clean her up myself. She'll look just as good if not better, and have brand new parts.

Heres their entire listing.
They want 10k here, but were willing to settle for a mere $6500 reserve when it was on ebay. hmm
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Last edited by bobboraze; 08-13-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying my first Ram!! Does this check out?