2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed the brakes and now tires are locked

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed the brakes and now tires are locked

This is in the mustang, but the setup is the same as the truck. I changed out the shocks and the brakes and rotors, now I try to drive out of the driveway and the front tires spun a little and now I let it sit for about an hour and they are locked and wont move. I have to floor it and drag the tires to get it going anywhere. Any ideas?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen when I changed the calipers on my truck. Turned out the slide pins were too long for the slides. I tried using my old pins and the new slides. It snapped them. Did you change the slide pins or slides or did you just change the pads?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:10 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

just the pads and rotors

Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

not to be a jerk, but you didn't pinch or twist the hydraulic lines closed, did you?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:37 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I've never had that happen in the many sets of brakes I've done then so not sure exactly what to tell you. Sounds like the calipers are stuck. What did you do when pushing the pistons back in? Were the pistons rusty or anything?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
not to be a jerk, but you didn't pinch or twist the hydraulic lines closed, did you?
Thats not being a jerk. I did a quick check before I put them back together and it looked fine, Im going to inspect it later today.

The pistons went in smooth as can be. no problems

Old 08-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you certain that you removed the cap from the brake reservoir before pushing the caliper pistons back? If not, that immense pressure could be preventing them from returning. Are you certain you don't have a collapsed soft line? What about the adjusters for the drums?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Nevermind, I played arround until I realised the pads and rotors were both ****. I put the old ones back on and no problems anymore. another -1 for pepboys.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

UGH,

I never buy anything from Pepboys anymore, unless it's car wash soap or polish. They don't have mechanics working for them, they have salesmen. Their parts catalog is frequently flat wrong ( had bulbs filters and parts listed wrong before), and they don't have the background knowledge to troubleshoot.

I bought a new alternator last year from them and didn't check it before I left. It was a 6 groove pulley and the truck is 7 groove. when I installed it, the belt skipped and made horrible sounds. Took it back and asked for the correct 7 groove pulley alt, and the parts counter guy looked the numbers up on the computer and told me he gave me the right alternator. He then told me I must have modified the truck and put different pulleys on. I explained to him that it would be pretty stupid for me to try to convert a 6 groove system to 7 groove, I'd have to replace the PS pump, A/C compressor, Crank pulley and Alternator.

Asked for refund, went to Oreilly's and got the right part. Paid $10 more not to be talked down to.

Quick Reply: Changed the brakes and now tires are locked