2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ngk or spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NGK Iridiums are good.I used Splitfire in my Iroc Z and liked them in that.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:40 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the Splitfire plugs in my Ford 1/2 ton with the 5.8L. Performance was the same but cold starts in the winter were much improved.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the main benefit of the iridiums just durability? I'd sure like to find a plug that would hold up a little better to the MSD box.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

you would have to try the irrid's yourself to determine how well they hold up for you. I can say however from experience that the mopar cap & rotor hold up better than the brass cap & rotor with the msd box.

and on another note... I notice the white chalk outline under your truck in the sig pic... is that because it was dead at the time of the pic?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

nah, she's still kickin' and draining my wallet. Kind of like the wife actually...

Old 08-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Major Trouble

I spoke with a tech at my shop about this once and he told me that his twenty years of working on dodge vehicles have taught him that one plug to use is the champion and never use ngk or any other "performance" plug because it will cause more harm than good. He knows his stuff for sure and I agree, after switching over to champion plugs my 360 runs much better.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:25 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy that used to work at the Dodge dealer said to only use Champions as others when I asked about the Autolites seemed to foul out every month. Which is what they did to me. I've had similar experiences.

I've only tried the Autolites and Champions though.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NGK is the one plug that has never caused me any problems in any vehicle.
One thing that is good about Champion is they offer lots of different heat ranges in most plug styles and sizes. (NGK too)
One problem you can run into when using non OEM plugs is that manufacturer (of the non OEM plug) may not offer an identical replacement plug and my 'recommend' their closest plug which might be a slightly different length or heat range.
That is the main reason you hear people say "I used brand X plug and my car/truck ran like Sh*t"
There is very little difference between a Champion, Delco, Autolite, etc plug of the same type, size, heat range...
Some people here really like the Autolite plugs, but I'm sure you could get the exact same results with an RC11xxx or RC10xxx Champion plug.
NGK is also the OEM plug for some of the newer Chrysler engines. I would use NGK without hesitation in anything.

Last edited by rabbler; 08-14-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having a hard time understanding how a motor would know what kind of plug it likes better ?? does the motor know the difference between an autolite or a champ , accel ..is it how the plug is made or the product in the plug ??? If the truck is in good working order it wouldnt matter what plug is used as long as its the correct heat range.. with out using my MSD box i had the gap set at .055 , then .045 , .040 .. at .058 i got alot of ping but the truck ran good at .045 with out the box , Im still gonna try the u grove accel plug and those set at .044 gap ..

Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Visious 318
Professional

My old boss was one of those that thought the dealer knew everything and you had to follow thier lead or you were stupid. I say if you find something that works for you stick with it for me and my style of driving Champions are junk I can trash a set in 5 min. Autolight, Motercraft, AC Delco, Accel, Bosh are the same i never have had any luck with them. I have had Ford's, Chevy's, Volvo's, and a Dodge. I have to say the best plug i have come across for me is the Denso Iridium's and a second choice is NGK plugs i can get 10,000 miles on NGK's and 80,000 and still counting on the Denso's compaired to 5min-2 days on the others. (fouled out, Miss firing, Burned up, would not fire,poorly made /arching thrue porchlin, center electrode breaking loose, center electrode falling out and destroying the top of piston) Then you have some people that drive easier than i do and can run anything so it all boils down to how you drive and what sape your engine is in and what type of fuel you burn and if it has additives in it or if you run alot of Octain booster like 104.

Quick Reply: ngk or spitfire