2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Left front Axle Shaft Seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 AM
brent_c76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left front Axle Shaft Seal

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. I have recently noticed some oil spots in my driveway. After some investigation, i found that the knuckle is drounded in gear oil. I traced it up to the axle shaft. I went to the auto parts store and purchased the axle shaft seal for $5.44 as well as gear oil. After looking at what I needed to do, I was second guessing if I had the proper tools. I found out I did not have a big enough socked for the Hub Nut, and I was wondering if I got myself into more than I bargained for. So... I put everything back together and then called a few places for an estimate.

I was told that it would be $500 or more to replace the axle shaft seal. I thought that the only thing that may need to be done is to remove the rotor, hub, stering arm, spindle, and then remove the axle from the shaft. But I am being told by a couple dealers that they have to remove all of the gears in the Diff. case, both axles, and the seal is inserted from the inside of the axle from the diff. housing.

Has anyone ever attempted this on their own? or any mechanics out there experienced this?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:14 PM
grizzlyfarmer2
Rookie

I havent tore into mine yet but i got a seal out on the right axle. i bumped the seal when i replaced the u joint a few days ago, while sliding the axle back into the housing. but yes you do have to pull both axles and tear the gears out to get at the seal. it dont look hard just might take some time. i had a hell of a time getting the hub off on the right side to pull the axle probably gona have the same trouble on the left side. so im waiting for a weekend where i got a few days to work on her. I wold say 8-10 hour job if your doing it yourself.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've done it many times, but I have the tools. A novice should only do it if they have the money,time,service manual and the desire to go through the learning curve.

And since the right side also has to be pulled apart, it makes sense to replace the bushings and seal on that side also.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
brent_c76

Thanks for the advice, I have some of the tools to do the job, but the space around the home. cannot do it in the driveway, it slants too much.... Although, I would enjoy the learning aspect of it. I like to learn new things. As mush as I hate to, I think I may have to take it in somewhere. DRATS!!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's a nice how to write up. it can be a bitch to get the bearings out of the hub if they're seized/rusted in. its also a real shame that you have to disassemble half the truck to change a stupid $5 seal.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/axleseal.php

Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You are right! It is not the best design. But anyway, besides the normal tools, a case spreader is sometimes needed to do the left side and a seal installer tool is required for the right side seal to do it right. Not to mention, without a good manual the intermediate shaft bushing and the bushing that goes in the end of it that connects the right outer shaft ,is often overlooked. Which in turn causes a lot of the vibration issues people have on here.

Quick Reply: Left front Axle Shaft Seal