2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seafoam killed my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:03 PM
stick1994
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam killed my truck!

So after I used seafoam on my truck it hasn't stopped smoking and seems like it's running rich as hell. My gas milage has dropped from before. I don't have cats or o2. Any idea's guys?

Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Default RE: Seafoam killed my truck!

How long have you driven it since you put it in?

When I used seafoam I poured it both into my TB and the gas tank. I let it sit overnite and started my truck the next morning and there was no smoke....I went ahead and drove to work. About 6 miles down the road all you seen was white smoke and I got pulled over and ticketed for excessive smoke. It only lasted about another 20 miles and then quit.

I am not sure if that helped or not.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 PM
ccanales
Amateur

Seafoam has been very good to me. I follow the instruction pretty much with the vacuum line to the intake.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:17 PM
junkman306
Veteran

I've never seen seafoam cause anything to smoke except for when you pour it through the vacuum lines. I run 2 cans every other tank and it helps clean the built up oil in the intake from the leaky manifold.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
stick1994
Professional

Since using it in the vacuum line running from the brake booster, the fuel tank, and crankcase, it's been about 300 miles. It usually smokes when i just like blip the throttle or when i let off of it. Not sure what the hell it cleaned out but i don't like it![&:]

Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Works4Ford
Rookie

How did you use it when administering the vacuum part? You're supposed to drip it through the vacuum line which turns it into a mist. If you pour too much in at one time, it will puddle in parts of the manifold and stay there for a while.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:04 AM
stick1994
Professional

ORIGINAL: Works4Ford

How did you use it when administering the vacuum part? You're supposed to drip it through the vacuum line which turns it into a mist. If you pour too much in at one time, it will puddle in parts of the manifold and stay there for a while.
I didn't drip it. I poured it little by little so that could be the problem maybe? Thx for the info

Old 05-13-2007, 06:12 AM
JT Granberry

Nice looking truck. How many miles have you driven on it since seafoam? Sometimes it takes a long time for it to quit smoking...

Old 05-13-2007, 10:50 AM
2 Marks
Professional

My experience with Seafoam and another product for outboards is that after the "soaking period" the engine must be run at a fast idle for about 15-20 minutes before the thick clouds of white smoke go away. After that, I go for a solid 30 minute ride at highway speeds to make sure everything is cleaned out. I tried to driveright away once and the smoke was obnoxious.

I used Seafoam in my wife's Subaru last weekend; the check engine light came on and stayed on for four days until all of the carbon and cleaning product was gone. It's is new to us with 100k so I suspect it was the first good cleaning. Purrs like a citten now.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:44 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seafoam is a very 'old fashioned' product
that neither Chrysler, GM or Ford recommend.

The modern fuel injector cleaners do a much better job
of cleaning away piston crown and back of intake valve carbon deposits
in a gentle safe way,
and give the added bonus of cleaning injector tips too.

It should be expected that MPG would go down slightly after a carbon clean-out, as the deposits raise the 'real world' compression ratio and insulate the piston crown from heat loss, both of which improve fuel economy at part throttle daily driving....but there is still the 'bad' that carbon deposits make pre-ignition and detonation more likely at wide open throttle.

Quick Reply: Seafoam killed my truck!