2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question Regarding Tranny Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Viper37
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Regarding Tranny Cooler Install

Quick question. My truck came with no tranny cooler, so I'm installing one. On the built in radiator cooler, the transmission lines connect at the bottom and the top of the radiator. On the metal tubing that runs from the top of the radiator down to the rubber hose, what type of connector is this? It seems to be a quick connector of some type, but i'm not familiar with what type.

There is a u looking clip on it that keeps it together.

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

are you talking about the quick disconnect fitting on the fluid line with the check valve at the other end? I'm not sure of the official name, but I know they sell multiple sizes of the male and female parts to that at Oreilly, AZ, etc. usually around in the small parts sections. You could just leave the connection and cut off the old tubes and hose clamp new ones on. Just be sure to use tubing rated for high pressure (150 psi or better)

Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Viper37
Banned

Yeah, thats what I'm talking about. The only reason I am asking is because I DON'T want to cut the hoses. I want to be able to swap it back to stock quickly if I ever need to.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i call it a fuel line/transmission line quick connect, size=3/8". a disconnect tool is used to spread the fingers and remove it. you can get them for $5-20 at any parts store.
when i installed my cooler, i removed the quick connects, and the i think i was able to unscrew one of them at the check valve, and then ended up having to cut the crimp on at least one of them at the frame. the hose seemed to be permanently crimped to the hard line, with no nice way to get it off.

the easiest and cheapest and most maintainable setup is to just use universal transmission hoses slipped over the hard lines or fittings or nipples, with clamps.

well crap. the pics in this thread are gone..
let me see if i can repost them
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/95322-transmission-cooler-and-remote-filter-added.html

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-13-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Viper37
Banned

That's a good write up there, thanks for that.

I went to 3 auto parts stores and home depot looking for those quick disconnects/ flared fittings and couldn't find anything. Any idea's?

Quick Reply: Question Regarding Tranny Cooler Install