2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS/ Brake light comes on when turning sharp

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:09 PM
drduckman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/ Brake light comes on when turning sharp

I seem to have an problem that I have not seen in the other posts concerning ABS light. My 98 2500 V-10, I know bad gas mileage, the ABS light and the brake light come on when I back up and turn sharp or when I start out and turn sharp. They stay on until I shut the truck off. I have replaced the diff speed sensor but the problem is still there. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
CarverTime

I'm wondering about this too.. I hope somebody knows..

Old 08-15-2008, 07:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do you have 4 wheel ABS ? if so, then the front wheel bearings have a speed sensor thing with a wire going to them. one of those might be coming loose.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:06 AM
drduckman

I had some thought about the other sensors. I know it does it more when I turn to the right, but it also does it sometimes the other way as well. My next step I guess is to pull the wheels and check the other sensors. I feel a grinding when I turn sharply like when I pull out of a parking spot so it may be a loose sensor. I will also pull the diff cover and check the tone ring inside the diff.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:16 PM
whipper

I am having a similar problem. My ABS and Brake light would come on and go off, and I could hear a slight "whistle" coming from the front end. I drove the truck last weekend and the right front wheel bearing decided it was time to retire. I am in the process of replacing the wheel bearing and am hoping that clears up the brake and ABS lights.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 PM
drduckman

I had gotten sidetracked with having to replace the water pump since it was dripping from the tattle tale hole in the bottom. My next step(s) are to remove the diff cover and clean it out and check the exciter ring in it and them move on the the front wheel bearings since I had read from another post that dust and crud on the front sensors will trip the lights. They went on the other day just from me putting the truck in gear,weird

Quick Reply: ABS/ Brake light comes on when turning sharp