2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Stalls at certain fuel level

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:24 PM
97Dodge1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Stalls at certain fuel level

UPDATE: The problem was solved by replacing the fuel pump! Thanks to everyone who helped!

Hello, so my family has a 97 Dodge 1500 it has been sitting for a while now because it stalls when the fuel level is a little below 3/4 of a tank. It was not idling as well so I cleaned out the Idle Air Sensor and it fixed that issue. The truck runs awesome if it has a full tank but as soon as it hits that level it spits and sputters then dies. I had suspected the fuel pump however before forking over a couple hundred for a new one I decided to take the pump out and see if there wasn't a hole in the pickup tube...and there wasn't. So I cleaned the pre-filter on the bottom of the pump which was pretty gross and siphoned out the gas to where it would be below the "no run" level of gas. When everything was put back together the truck ran, below the usual "no run" level...which didn't make sense to me being that I didn't really do anything. Well the problem re-occured at about 1/4 of a tank this time. I haven't personally been in the vehicle when this happens so I am not sure exactly whats happening. Such as engine light, no fuel situation or what. However when the truck stalls the only way to get it running again is to fill the tank back up. Could this be a bad pump? Someone told me there is a sensor that could tell the truck it has no gas when it actually does...? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

Last edited by 97Dodge1500; 11-29-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Solution Found
Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
UltraMag50
Professional

same thing happens to my 98 1500 5.2. it needs to have more that 1/4 tank of fuel or else it dies, however i always attributed it to a faulty fuel sender or the like...

Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's a dumb question... when the truck runs out of gas at about 1/4 tank, do you reckon it really has a 1/4, or do you reckon its out, and the gauge is lying to you ?

you could sort of test that by mileage on the tank. some have 26 gal tanks (good for 260-350 miles), some have 35 gal (350-450 miles).

you could also test fuel pressure on the rail when its dead.
also listen for fuel pump running when key is on.

the sending unit is on the pump, in the tank.
i'm not aware of any sensors that tell the truck to shut down.
....except the fuel shutdown relay (ASD ?). not quite sure how that works.
i think its just a relay - so it could just be bad...
somebody explain it...

Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
98BigRed

My truck just did it this morning and I have about a half a tank of gas left.

Glad I am not the only one this happens too.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:22 PM
97Dodge1500

Thank you for your reply's. I have checked to see if there was actually gas in the tank after it stalls and there is... So I ruled out the possibility that the float is not reading correctly.

I havn't tested the pressure while the truck was dead...next time I'll do that.

The fuel pump does turn on in both running and "no run" conditions.

I'll have to look in to the Fuel shutdown relay.

98BigRed....sorry to hear, if you figure it out would you please tell me

Thanks again guys, if I figure it out I'll let you know and if anyone has any more ideas please send them my way.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a fuel pump getting tired? Also possibly a crack or hole in the pickup line in the tank.

Quick Reply: Dodge Stalls at certain fuel level