2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Major tire/wheel problem!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Steamquick1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major tire/wheel problem!! PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a slight problem with my new wheels and tires... First of all... I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Extended cab 2wd with a 360, and I just got a set of 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 wheels... I got the factory 20" 5-star style polished aluminum wheels.... they also came with a good set of 275/55/20 goodyear eagle tires... I traded a $45 guitar for them, so not a bad trade... but... I cant get them to fit my truck... The spindle in the front (Hub), wont fit the wheel for the lug nuts to come all the way through the wheel... also... the grease cap for the wheel bearing sticks through the centercap area of the wheel about 1.5" .... what can I do to remedy this??? I figured I could get a set of spacers about 1.5" to set the wheels off the hub... but has anyone else had these problems??? PLEASE HELP!!! and does anyone have any pics of a 2nd gen ram with the newer style wheels on it??? I want to see how they look on them... thanks!!!

Thanks!!!
Steven...

Old 08-15-2008, 12:35 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where you one of those kids that tried to force the square block into the hole for the triangle block?

Just Joshin ya... wheel spacers would work.. if you can find them.. but be care with them as they can work loose over time....

also.. what size of brakes are you running?.. bigger tires mean more mass and you need bigger brakes to stop

never seen a 2nd generation with 20's but I think you'll be the talk of the town if you can get-r-done! Post pics would love to see it!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Trey318
Captain

Theres a 2nd gen down the road from my house with those wheels, but Im not sure what they had to do. If I knew the guys Id ask 'em for you. =/

Old 08-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Steamquick1

Ask Em!!! Ask Em!!! lol... just kidding... Ive seen a few with these wheels on them, but they are very hard to find... I found a set of wheel spacers on ebay for about $75... 1.5"... Im thinking of trying them... The truck is just for an everyday driver around town anyways... I just want it to look good... you know... lol.. but I had a set of 2003 Corvette Z06 wheels on a 1996 Chevrolet camaro z28, and they fit fine... (Slight modifications)... If I can make those fit.... I can make ANY wheel fit... Give me a civic wheel, Ill get it on a 3500 dodge... lol... just kidding... these shouldn't be too bad... just was wondering if there was any way other than spacers... any dodge guy secrets I should know about...

Thanks Again!!!
Steven....

Old 08-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Steamquick1

also, It has factory brakes for now, but will upgrade soon... maybe SRT-10 brakes??? will they fit??? wait... one problem at a time.... lol...

Old 08-16-2008, 07:09 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Aside from the look,
those large 20" wheels
are hard for the engine to turn
and for the brakes to stop
because of a 'flywheel effect'

They will make your Ram accelerate slower,
brake to a panic stop over a longer distance,
make the ride worse over severe bumps,
and wear out ball joints and wheel bearings faster.

There are more expensive 20" wheels designed to have a much lower
"Moment of Rotational Inertia" (the flywheel effect)
than those stock factory 2003 20" wheels.

You get what you pay for
performance wise.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 AM
kitchenrat1
Rookie
Cool

I also tried those rims on my 2wd with no luck. You can try spacers but then the lug bolts will not be long enough. You could try to drill out the centers of the rims to fit over the hubs but that would weaken the integrity of the wheel. There are some 2nd gens with the 3rd gen wheels out there and they look great, but they are all 4x4's. The front hub on a 4x4 will accomadate the rims because there is no spindle. Try looking up squishy_1010 He's got those rims on his truck and it's lowered too.
Check this post:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...t=squishy_1010

Quick Reply: Major tire/wheel problem!! PLEASE HELP!!!