2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCM code 99 ram.... $#@%$^ P0601

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:37 PM
556fmj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM code 99 ram.... $#@%$^ P0601

99 ram 4x4 5.9 auto
dangit! My truck has been running great, but just had the annoying check engine light. I figured it was running fine, I'll look into it later. Well, today I pulled out the hypertech and checked the codes. I got one for the ignition (which I'm almost positive is my MSD) and the other is P0601, PCM ROM is wasted. ACK!!! I'm kind of sticking to my normal deal with my stuff. If it breaks something, I put something better in. So I've been looking into MP PCM's, and some B&G (and other) flash's, but B&G wants my PCM to be in good working condition, and they won't guarantee that my PCM will take the flash with the code currently.

Ok, so maybe parts/service can help (or anyone else that knows this stuff) but if I get a PCM from another truck, do I need to get my VIN burned into it before i ship it off to hughes to get the B&G? How does this work with the MP PCM's? If I can find one, do I need to take it to the dealer to get my stuff burned into it?

It's running fine currently, but I'd like to get it fixed before something bad does happen, leaving me stranded somewhere.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:18 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read on another forum , that you dont need to , of course silver will chime in cause he bought a mopar pcm off of ebay i think and plug it right in and work , some will say you will need the VIN flash , some dont . On my 96 i have a mopar perfomance PCM dont need a flash , or I think you can find just a stock PCM on ebay cheap and have flashed (B&G) ... The soft code you got with the ingition is the MSD (the MSD tach adapter will cure that) ..

Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a hypertech flash in your PCM?
If so remove it and see if the internal code goes away.
As for the Ignition code with the MSD, doesn't MSD make a jumper/connector to fix it?
I think there a problem because the MSD coil had a different resistance than the stocker.
I would imagine B&G could input the VIN# if you send it along with the PCM.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The MSD tach adaptor (MSD part # 8910) will get rid of the P0351 code.

+1 for what rabbler said, but first try to reset the PCM by disconnecting the neg battery cable for a few minutes. Then return the truck to stock and try to reload the Hypertech program. There is a small chance of frying the PCM every time you write to the rom, the same danger exists for flashing the BIOS of a computer. If you bought the Hypertech new from the company (not used), they should be able to offer you tech support to get your computer working.

Don't bother getting a Mopar PCM and overwriting the PCM with the hypertech, the performance tune on the Mopar PCM should be better than the HT. Same with the B&G.

To swap out PCM's you need to make sure a few things match from the donor truck: the model year, the engine size, the tranny (man vs. auto) and the security group (alarm vs. no alarm, power locks vs manual). You don't need the VIN flashed in it. If those all match, you should be in business.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
556fmj
Professional

ok. So I took the program out of the PCM, and tried unhooking the battery for an hour or so, then rehooked it up, and POOF... light still on. I called HT and they think that my programmer tried to upload a bad file into the ROM, and I'm sending it back now to them. I'll let you know when it gets back. So far, A+ for the HT tech team. They've been super helpful so far.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P-0601 INTERNAL CONTROLLER FAILURE. Sure sign of a dead PCM. You can get a PCM out of another truck as long as everything is the same. Year/engine size/trans/security like AIM4 said. Only problem is, a PCM is VIN locked. A dealer can not overwrite the VIN. Maybe a aftermarket seller can, but a dealer can not.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:55 AM
mfrump

I have also had the same problem with my 2000 ram and my HT programmer i changed some settings and got a check engine light and the code was a p0601 What do i need to do

Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 AM
556fmj
Professional

if you bought the hypertech new, just give their tech line a call, explain what happened, and they'll give you a return #. Apparantly, the code (and light) is the file with the "bug" installed in the computer (and the computer knows it). HT tech said they just need to reload the tuner, and it'll fix itself. If that doesn't work, I'll have to see what they'll do with buying me a new PCM.

if you didn't buy the HT new, you are SOL. I guess buy a new computer...

Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 PM
heavyduty1983
Professional

if u want a cheap rebuilt stock one get it from here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...mZ370068104892 i just got one and in stalled it because of the "no bus" issue and i havent had any problems since i installed it

Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM
556fmj
Professional

update on this. I just got my programmer back from hypertech. It had a "rom wipe" factory flash installed. Hooked it up, followed the directions, and poof! no more check engine light. Man, what a relief. Kudos to Hypertech on super customer service, and making sure it was all good to go!

Oh, and I got a software upgrade as well. Apparantly it's worth a few ponies more than normal, so I can't wait to get out and try em out!

Quick Reply: PCM code 99 ram.... $#@%$^ P0601