2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation High idle

I was doing a little bit of hardball trial riding and my battery tie down wasnt tight so after all the bumps and road driving when i hit good ditch, my battery knocked over and hit my belts, i knew something had happen because i heard the thud, so i stoped poped the hood put my battery back on the tray ( with the truck off) put the tie down back on it and closed the hood, started it back up and now the idle in drive at a stop is like 1100 rpm and when in park, around 12 to 1300, i took it to the cr wash, figuered something got wet and muddy, so i washed off the engine bay, still does it. the truck itself doesnt react to anything differantly, just the idle, is this the TPS or is it something that can just be easily fixed?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Mark Benson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked for any loose vacumm lines?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

to be honset, i have a very good mechanical score for the militry, i am all hands on, but i dont even know where to start, i took my intake completely off, and found sediment of mud in there, so thats not good, but what other lines could it be? theres also a few electrical things hooked in, what is what?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:21 AM
Mudbone25
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id start with TPS and IAC. Do you notice the rpms drop the second you touch the pedal? if so id say its the TPS. when the battery knocked over it could of yanked at a wire. You can clean the TPS with electrical cleaner. Drill a small hole in the body of the sensor and spray it with cleaner then seal it up with silacone.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:48 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Mudbone25
when the battery knocked over it could of yanked at a wire. .
it did yank something, just not wires, it was the cruise control cable, pintched it and didnt allow the throttle butterflys to fully close, causeing high idle, got it fix for now, just have to get my new cable, but the corect battery tie down first, thaanks guys

Old 08-23-2008, 11:06 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks for posting the resolution!

Quick Reply: High idle