2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clicking behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:13 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking behind dash

While I'm driving I will hear a kind of clicking behind the dash. It sounds like it is behind the headlight switch but it doesn't matter if the headlights are on. It almost sounds like a relay shorting out because it has that sound to it. The really wierd thing is everything seems to work. When it started making the sound I was just going to wait until somthing stoped working: it has been doing it now for quite a while. My only thought is, as it is a Canadian truck, there are daytime running lights which is the high beams on at about 50%. They work but I wonder if when the click happens there is a fluctuation or a momentary shut down of the lights. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:33 PM
kitchenrat1
Rookie

Speedo cable not fully intact?

Old 08-23-2008, 06:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think the speedo on the 99 is all electronic, no cable.
if you suspect its the headlight switch clicking, you should pull if out and check it. i would think you could remove the dash bezel, remove the headlight screws, and then observe what's going on while you're driving it. a new switch from autozone, advance, rockauto etc is only about $60. if it shorts out and burns up wires, it'll cost you a lot of time, trouble, or money to fix it.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4472

the headlight and foglight relays are in the pdc box, next to the battery. they would make a clicking sound when turned on/off. if you were to pull those relays, it would kill the circuit. so if it is the lights, that would prove it by silencing the clicking.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-23-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Satellite

I have a click somewhere behind my dash, too, although it sounds like it's coming from somewhere lower than the headlight switch (but definitely on the driver side, maybe the kick panel). It sounds like some kind of solenoid switch clicking back and forth. It seems to only click when the truck is cold. Odd.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 AM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

[QUOTE=dhvaughan;1387619]the headlight and foglight relays are in the pdc box, next to the battery. they would make a clicking sound when turned on/off. if you were to pull those relays, it would kill the circuit. so if it is the lights, that would prove it by silencing the clicking.[/QUOTE

That might be worth a shot to see if it is related to the clicking sound

Quick Reply: clicking behind dash