2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't start and im late for work

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:32 AM
cancertree
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start and im late for work

For about a week now one out of every 10 starts the truck would squeal and whine on start. So i get into my truck to go to work and now it wont start at all. When i turn the key all i get is a low humm sound like the sound of a small engine. Any ideas?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Mudbone25
Professional

does it turn over? When my battery died a few weeks ago id only humm when turnning the key. The squeal might be a loose belt to your altanator causing it to not charge the bettery.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 AM
cancertree

It's pretty much a brand new battery in there, only a month old. Checked the terminal and connection, still nothing. Would it make that low hummm noise if it were the belt, seems like an odd noise.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:12 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the low hum might be the fuel pump. it comes on as soon as you turn the key to "on". have you got a charger, or try to jump it from another vehicle/battery.

just a by the way story. wife called a couple of months ago when it was 100* and said - i'm at the store, car won't turn over, clicking sound, its hotter'n hell, come fix it now. so i go put the jumper cables on it and it still just clicks. i crank the truck and hold it at 2000 rpm for a couple minutes and it still just clicks. odd. so i go over to autozone and get a battery and put in it and it fires right up. i guess the old battery was shorted out internally so bad that even my jump went to ground...

Old 08-24-2008, 07:21 PM
cancertree

I think a better description of the sound it makes is, when i turn the key it sounds like a shopvac. It's the weirdest damn noise ever.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start and im late for work