2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE forward clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 12:57 AM
DamnThis2ndGen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE forward clutch

I'm currently rebuilding my trans with a raybestos kit. I followed directions given to a t. Its going smooth until i get to the forward clutch. I can't get the dang flat snap ring in the groove bc the whole groove isn't showing. I have the Bellville spring, spacer, and wavy snap ring in the proper way, proper number of friction and steels, now my endplate is covering half of the groove for the final snap ring to seat. What am I doing wrong??? I don't know where else to turn.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:12 AM
Damn2ndGen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a digital caliper. Disassemble the forward and direct clutch again. This kit has steel plates that are the same diameter, but 2 different thickness'. Use the caliper to check the thickness of the steel plates and seperate them. The direct clutch gets 3 friction plates (deep grooved) and 3 steel plates of the thicker size, the forward clutch gets 4 friction plates (almost smooth plates with light grooves) and 3 steel plates of the thinner size. Should go together like butter unless your end plate and apply plate are warped. But I'd bet you have the wrong plates in the wrong place.

Quick Reply: 46RE forward clutch