2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

are dodge trannys bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3 biggest reasons that transmissions die.
1. Towing in overdrive.
2. Not changing the fluid on a regular basis.
3. Using the wrong fluid.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:40 PM
sawtooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good readkeep the RPM's up when pulling hills)
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_000724.htm

After the fan clutch is replaced, suggest a tranny temp gage installed in place of the problematic tranny drain-back valve lower radiator passenger side. I've found it to be the best inclinometer available while pulling my '22 trailer(5500 LB loaded with all our stuff) through the Rockies. Just wondering, will the Hayen fan fit between the hood latch mechanism and the air con. condenser?

Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 PM
madman269

i do not think by the looks of it that the hayden fan will fit in the front...i was going to use it as a puller...but then i was looking and maybe thought about mounting it between the transmission cooler and the radiator...maybe..as far as the transmission fluid..we take our truck to have serviced at a lube and oil place...jiffy lube...they are suppose to flush and replace the fluid....so i hope they are using the correct fluid...and replace the what with a trans temp gauge....check valve...so a gauge in place of the check valve????please explain....thanks andrew

Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Wow, you went all out. If I were you I wouldn't use that clutch you ordered, either go all out with the electric fan or get a flex fan. With the stock clutch fan my Camaro would heat up to 250 in the Florida heat, put a flex fan on and now it wont go above 195. Did you say your truck DID come equipped with a factory tranny cooler? If not I would def. add one, and when you put your pan on, be sure to use the filter extension provided.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:46 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I do not any quick oil change place with my tranny service. Either a trusted independent or Dodge dealer. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:46 PM
sawtooth
Rookie

(1) a fellow named "silver??" posted on this board displaying photos, giving part numbers, and temperature results of his mods. Maybe they are in a DIYS section.

(2) Agree with charlie1935 above? Have a horror story involving Jiffy Lube & a '94 JGC

(3) The following is an old post I ask on an RV forum about my temperature problems.
Turns out the fan clutch was not functioningg properly. When we took the trip below, the truck had about 75k. Took the nearly identical trip a few weeks ago and the temperature never exceeded 210 DEG F. The truck now has over 138K.

" Last fall replaced my old RamCharger (RC) with a newer vehicle to pull my new travel trailer. The old RC has a short wheelbase, high center of gravity, too many miles and semis blew it all over the road when passing going 80 MPH.

The Trailer: '05, Fleetwood, Pioneer; 22', advertised dry WT. 3,647 LBS, actual WT. 5200 LBS with our extras (air, awning, ETC), dry tanks (gray, black, & water), and all our stuff.

The Truck: "96 Dodge 1500 (1/2 ton), 4X4,5.9L (360), 3 SPD. Auto with overdrive, and lock-up torque converter, 3.55 DIF, (oversized tires give a gear ratio of 3.22), GCWR 12,500, and Max Trailer Wt. 7,700. Tranny fluid flow on this vehicle is torque convert output to radiator, radiator to tranny cooler (mounted fwd of radiator) and then to the tranny pan.

After reading about all the troubles Dodge & other manufactures have had with auto trannys since they stopped using whale oil, I sought the advice of some experienced RV'ers. One fellow, who has made a couple of 360 DEG trips to Alaska, told me to keep the torque converter in lock when ever possible to reduce heat. Another fellow told me to install a temp. gage at the output of the torque converter and drive for the lowest temp.. So I pulled the tranny pan, installed a drain valve, & a new filter. 200 miles later, drained the tranny fluid and refilled. Installed an oil temp. sensor VIA a T-fitting between the torque converter output and the radiator. (tested the gage and sensor in boiling water to determine accuracy).

Our trip: Boise to Glenns Ferry, ID, freeway, tranny temp was 140 on the flats but hit 220 on some 6% grades before I dropped into 2'nd. Glenns Ferry to Stanley,ID, temp reached 250 about 1/3 up Galina Pass (8700ft) dropped into 1'st and temp decreased to 210 before the summit. ( the torque curves on this truck are relatively flat between 2000 and 4800 RPMs, my max rpm is around 3500). Stanley to Salmon,ID, temp never reached 140, stopped to trouble-shoot gage and then realized following the Salmon River East was down hill. Salmon to Darby, MT, 8500 ft pass same results as Galina.

My scheme of increasing RPMs , keeping a lot of transmission fluid flow worked well until we reached Lewiston, ID (750ft). Pulling out of that area the temp gage hit 230, dropped to 2'nd( temp gage 240), dropped to 1'st (temp gage 250), the radiator temp gage approached 230 (normal is 200). Dropped to 4-low and temp readings seem to hold until we found a turn-out.

So how do you fellows keep your tranny cool?
Does tranny fluid start to varnish and lose its lubricating properties at high temperatures?
Should I remove the gage and drive pedal to the metal which seems to be the norm?"

(4) Sugest the following: 1- tranny temp gage. 2- tranny mechanical adjustment. 3-tranny oil & filter change using only ATF+4. 4- a second external tranny cooler(see Silver??)

Quick Reply: are dodge trannys bad