2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

high idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 PM
DBG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question high idle

Ok, so today i degreased the motor as i have done numerous times before. Problem this time is afterwards when i start the truck it revs right up to 2500 then slowly drops to 1200 and sits there for a little while then drops down to about 700 but it takes a long time to get back down there. any ideas?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I had my key in the on position while i was working on my truck (if you have the driver door open, the key in the on position makes it not "ding") I was wiring up my lights on my pushbar and attached my power wire into the black box under the hood. I undid that nut that the positive battery cable runs to and in the process of trying to put my hoop connector for my lights on the stud, the battery cable lifted off and arc'd. It killed my IAC motor and caused my idle to say at 1200 rpm when in drive. My never went lower than that lol. I replaced it and it works like its supposed to. The IAC motor thats in teh back of the throttle body is in charge of idle so taht would be my first guess.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:47 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if this problem started only after the motor clean/degrease, i'd try to clean the IAC and TPS electrical connector before replacing parts. remove connectors, spray with a little elec cleaner or degreaser or wd40, then apply some di-electric grease and reconnect. reset the pcm by disconnecting neg battery cable and turning key to start for about 30 sec.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:58 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 don't replace parts until you know they're done.

I have a problem that I thought was the IAC because the idle wouldn't calm down as quick as I thought it should. When I drove it, I noticed the same thing was happening when I let off the gas to brake. The rpms were hanging and it made braking more difficult because the throttle was still pushing the truck forward.

Turned out to be the TPS, not the IAC. I'd test drive it (carefully and away from others) to verify.

Next time disconnect the battery when you degrease the bay.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:19 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

oh ****....you broke your motor. guess you better buy a new one!

tps iac. check voltage

Old 08-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Mudbone25
Professional

deffinatly test voltage. TPS should sweep from just over 1 up to 5 when opening the throttle. TPS was my problem too.

Quick Reply: high idle