2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

more on the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 PM
madman269
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry more on the tranny

ok this is kinda a continuation of the tranny topic that i posted....so i called ez lube today..and asked about when they serviced my transmission a couple a months ago...here is what i was basically told..no they do not drop the pan and change the filter....that was a surprise...it is a 15 qt flush...saying that the machine operates at such a pressure that it will basically backflush the filter....i dont know seems to me but i dont know how it works,,that would backflush all the crap the filter had caught back into the tranny...???yes/no...then they refill using a universal tranny fluid and add additives for whatever make of vehicle you have to compincate...that dont sound good....so im going to service my tranny myself installing a deeper tranny pan...so here is a question...if i just drop the pan...manual says something about adjusting something with the pan off i forget what it was but i will get my manual back...so if i drop the pan and drain what fluid comes out that not emptying the converter is it....i want that universal crap out...period...so what is the correct and complete procedure...thanks...andrew

Old 09-02-2008, 05:30 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just drop the pan clean it and replace the filter and top off the fluid. About 4 or 5 qts. Those flushes they do suck and can "f" up and clog other parts of the trans. Like the throttle body .Bad Idea!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transmission flushes are a waste of money and can damage the transmission. Just drop the pan and replace the filter and pan gasket, add quality fluid and try an additive from "Smart Blend" that will convert that regular fluid in the trans to the ATF+4 fluid.

BTW the adjustment youre thinking of is probably the reverse band.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't see your year, but the 46re already has a fairly deep pan. i'd suggest changing fluid and filter, adding a $5 drain plug to the pan, and maybe add an external cooler for about $50. it will do more cooling than a deep pan and costs a lot less. deep pans for some silly reason cost about $200. save your money for the rebuild thats coming somewhere in all of our futures.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/trans.php
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/cooler.php
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/95322-transmission-cooler-and-remote-filter-added.html

Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
madman269
Default thanks

i like the links you gave thanks....really liked the idea of the aux filter...added fluid same as a pan...plus more filtration.....nice...you mounted the trans cooler on the front of your ac condenser...ours has a factory cooler"tow package equipped"and its behind the condenser....was thinking about moving it up front...but dont know how much a difference it would make...does it sacrifice ac performance...also since you have done this...where was this check valve every one is saying to take out....thanks again....oh yeah i almost forgot...was that aux filter setup made just for a transmission...or is it a aux oil filter relocator ...thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 01:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you already have a factory installed cooler, i'd say its sufficient and you don't need additional cooling unless you're doing massive towing (which will kill the stock tranny no matter what you do). mine had no cooler, that's why i added one.

the remote filter i used is a stand alone kit for transmission fluid. its not really part of an engine oil filter relocation kit, although its the same principle, but w/o the filter adapter.

the check valve is under the hood, on the hot (pressure) line going to the transmission cooler. its screwed into the hard line, right at the frame rail on the passenger side. its small, about 1" in diameter and 1" long, more or less. on my 01, it was at the end of the hard line, between it and the flex hose to the radiator/cooler.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Of course I meant to say valve body not throttle body in my first post! Sorry.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

And BTW! If thats all you're towing once in a while, and you have a factory cooler, you should be fine as long as you "do not" use overdrive while towing. And I would still drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. I also would never bring it back to them again.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
madman269
Default yep

so thanks for the info...yeah i was thinking throttle body lol.....anyways yeah im not..no more quickie places for servicing...maybe the oil change but that going to be it...i am going to mount that aux filter setup..in a previous reply...i like that idea....think im going to mount it up front behind the grill...and by the way dhvaughan..did you just cut the steel lines and slip the hoses on and clamp them????? no leaks no hoses coming off??? just need to know my filter thing should be here on monday....thanks guys....

Quick Reply: more on the tranny