2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dash finally fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008 | 12:24 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Its most commonly refered too on this site as the stealership. Not because of this one issue. The dealer is usually a lot more expensive for parts than they should be. When I needed the trim screws to hold the door on, they wanted 6.35 each and there is 11 per door. oh, and the extened cab ones too... ( i forget how many) * 2 for both sides = mega mega amounts of money. Another time I checked on coilsprings. They wanted 300 dollars / coil spring when you can get a pair of lift springs for less than that. Just stuff like that.

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:17 PM
TonkaMan
|
Rookie

pcfixerpro hit the nail on the head with that one just another quick example for you... my step-dad recently had to purchase an interior part for a 97 monte carlo (I know I know chevy ew) dealer wanted around $235 he looked around and ended up gettin the same part for $25 now that is the definition of a thief.

Old 06-21-2009 | 11:10 PM
Rockyhigh360
Veteran

The ring clamp that holds your air intake to your throttlebody... 36$ @ Perkins dodge

2$ and a 1/4 mile walk @ the junkyard........yeah stealership sounds right

Old 06-22-2009 | 05:01 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
Its most commonly refered too on this site as the stealership. Not because of this one issue. The dealer is usually a lot more expensive for parts than they should be. When I needed the trim screws to hold the door on, they wanted 6.35 each and there is 11 per door. oh, and the extened cab ones too... ( i forget how many) * 2 for both sides = mega mega amounts of money. Another time I checked on coilsprings. They wanted 300 dollars / coil spring when you can get a pair of lift springs for less than that. Just stuff like that.
i checked on the price for the push in door retainer clips and the dealer wanted 3.50$ each. when i was on the phone with the dealer and he said they were 3.50 i asked "how many come in a package" and he said, "they're 3.50 each" i told him he's insane considering how many you need just to replace some speakers. and you need 13 for the front door and 9 for the back (i think thats how many i needed).
i got 25 from a body shop (all he had) for 3$. since i was doing all the speakers i needed a lot more than that so i got on ebay and found some for a ford that were the same size/style. i got 2 bags of 25 for 4$ each with shipping. when i got them i found out that they are the same size on the outside but the center piece that the ribs hold on to was too big so put a slice in them down the center with a band saw and they fit perfect.

i just did the math.
those little plastic clips from the dealer: 154$
similar clips on ebay that work just as well: 8$

Originally Posted by HankL
I wonder if an adhesive sound deadener sheet
applied to the underside of the dash,
like the DynaMat or cheaper BrownBread
would strengthen the dash enough to prevent some cracks?
i've thought about rhino lining the underside if i were to get a new one, it'd never crack with that stuff on it.

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Exactly. I want a refund. I also am having my newer one crack around one bolt hole. I put superglue on it and you can't really see it. I noticed it's also cracked one other place behind the black bezel where it snaps in. Piece of crap dashes. I already replaced this thing once almost 2 years ago. That's not that old.
one guy put a post on here a long time ago saying to use GE SiliconeII. Its indoor/outdoor so it can handle the sun and it stays flexable after it dries. it wouldn't be the same color but that'd be fine by me if it'd stop the crack.

Originally Posted by 98DodgeRam1500
*knock on wood* mine isn't cracked yet, but what years were most prone to cracking?

Also, I never use any thing on my plastic/vinyl dashes, just a dust cloth. Hoping that will prolong any cracks.
I believe the 00-01s are the worst. my dads 98 and my sisters 99 still have good dashboards and they never use armorall or anything like that either.

The dust might actually help by forming a barrier between the dash and the UV rays.

Originally Posted by TonkaMan
alright fellas as promised I made the call to get that number again 1800-992-1997, that is the customer service number for chrysler. When I called they asked for my vin and wanted me to explain the extent of the damage then ya get a file number, the guy I eventually got in touch with was mike in Detroit. Hope it works out as well for you guys as it did for me.
the extent of my damage was the whole passenger side caved in and a good hard bump would have caved in the driver side. when i took mine out i just snapped off the original pieces, it was like breaking doritos. i just got a plastic ebay cover for mine.

Old 06-22-2009 | 05:43 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Old 06-22-2009 | 09:42 AM
PurplDodge
Legend

?????
More Spam. Should I report it? it is my duty as a Dodge Forum member.
What is this "Car" you are talking about?

Last edited by PurplDodge; 06-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2009 | 12:41 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

haha ok that was off topic sheriff when you got your cover do you remove the dash or just throw it over what already is damaged

Old 06-22-2009 | 02:08 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
?????
More Spam. Should I report it? it is my duty as a Dodge Forum member.
What is this "Car" you are talking about?
Why not? Do it!!

Old 06-22-2009 | 02:13 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

i snapped off all the original pieces when i was doing my heater core and put just the edges of the original back on. without the edges the cover will sit too low on the dash and you'll have gaps. i didn't glue mine on either, i just have it sitting there because it doesn't move.

Old 06-22-2009 | 03:43 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

oh ok i think im gonna take mine up to the local dodge house and get mine done im not a big fan of covering up a problem

Quick Reply: dash finally fixed