2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with trouble/check eng. codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 PM
DavidHasADodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with trouble/check eng. codes

Is there an online source to tell me what the trouble codes mean? I tried the on/off three times thing with the ignition after reading about it on this site and got a “P 0455” and a “P 0305” but have no idea what those numbers mean…

Err, forgot to add that I just bought this truck used, and it has a custom exhaust, and I was told that they are related to that, but just wanted to double check. I should have checked before buying the truck, but oh well...

Last edited by DavidHasADodge; 09-03-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Justfreewheelin

po305 is cyl. 5 missfire. po455, however, is EVAP Control System Leak Detected, and could be a number of different things.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:08 PM
DavidHasADodge
Default More trouble!

More trouble codes! Ok, here’s the story, I took the truck to a mechanic and asked him to troubleshoot the codes and replace the spark plug and/or wire as needed. He did but the code stayed. He then replaced the fuel injector. His final answer was that it needed a valve job because the exhaust valve was an issue. I told him that I didn’t want to invest that kind of money, so I picked it up. After about 10 miles the check engine light went off. Now after about 100 miles, it came back on with the following codes:

What do you guys think? Is this the valve problem again? Or is it something else?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALright, if you are getting MISSFIRE codes that go on and off this is the problem:

Your injector connectors are loose AND/OR don't have that metal wire clip that holds it down...its a missfire every time. YOu need to get new pigtails and splice them in. It worked for me.

Also, make sure that you take the coil wire and route it between the head and intake manifold where there is a little gulley. The col wire can cause interference with the other wires, and you don't want them touching.

Lastly, for the evap...you can go to a junkyard and get a new evap solenoid. Just make sure to connect the vac lines the right way. I put mine in upside down. Also, get another gas cap. that could send an evap code. Inspect the evap canister, ussually along the framerail on the drivers side door...its the cansiter thing with vac lines going into it.

The injector connectors would be the reason if your code is going on and off like that. I had that problem and it was fixed instantly by getting new pigtails. Don't get them from a junkyard, because you won't be improving the problem. Unless you can get ones with the little metal wire clips that hold the injector connectors down tight.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:41 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OBD-II codes for Rams in a .pdf file
worth printing out and putting in glove compartment:

http://tinyurl.com/4ueq6l

Old 10-13-2008, 07:30 AM
DavidHasADodge

Originally Posted by HankL
OBD-II codes for Rams in a .pdf file
worth printing out and putting in glove compartment:

http://tinyurl.com/4ueq6l
Thanks!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 AM
DavidHasADodge

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
ALright, if you are getting MISSFIRE codes that go on and off this is the problem:

Your injector connectors are loose AND/OR don't have that metal wire clip that holds it down...its a missfire every time. YOu need to get new pigtails and splice them in. It worked for me.

Also, make sure that you take the coil wire and route it between the head and intake manifold where there is a little gulley. The col wire can cause interference with the other wires, and you don't want them touching.

Lastly, for the evap...you can go to a junkyard and get a new evap solenoid. Just make sure to connect the vac lines the right way. I put mine in upside down. Also, get another gas cap. that could send an evap code. Inspect the evap canister, ussually along the framerail on the drivers side door...its the cansiter thing with vac lines going into it.

The injector connectors would be the reason if your code is going on and off like that. I had that problem and it was fixed instantly by getting new pigtails. Don't get them from a junkyard, because you won't be improving the problem. Unless you can get ones with the little metal wire clips that hold the injector connectors down tight.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I live in the country and travel some rough roads, so I can see where something could be loose, I'll check into that.

Quick Reply: Help with trouble/check eng. codes