2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tuning Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:38 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuning Confusion

I'm kinda confused on how this all works. The cam I'm probably gonna go with says it requires computer modification (well on comps site anyway, Summit says may require). I have searched around and so far have not found any self tuning programs. I was hoping to find something that I could learn to tune and burn my own chips. I need to email a company that makes tuners for other car makes to see if any of theres will work.

I see a lot where a sct tune will work for a cam upgrade. I have looks at sct tuners and don't see where it mentions tuning for upgrades. The ones I seen look like they do the same as a hypertech.

Any insite on this would be great

Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

SCT is a custom tuned device, determined by your upgrades. So yes, it will work for a cam.

It is far better than a Hypertech.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:25 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EFILive is a PC based program that lets you tweak your own programming.

I think it only supports GM cars though

http://www.efilive.com/default.aspx

Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides the truck running like *** is there another way to know if you need a tune? If I put it back together and it runs fine why do I need to tune it?

Old 09-07-2008, 11:18 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is just a dumbass shadetree point of view, so take it as that, but.. if your truck is a daily driver that you need to get to work or school, you might not want to put an extreme cam in it and then have to deal with trying to get it to run. in an older car, you can tune it by simply twisting the distributor to adjust timing, and the carb supplied an unlimited amount of gas for the engine to suck in. in computer controlled cars, the computer controls all the ignition timing, plus the timing and volume and duration of the injectors squirts. i think that unless you've got scanner type tools to monitor this stuff, you're at a real disadvantage. and the problem with this is when you've spent a lot of money and put the motor together and then it won't run, you've got to diagnose whats wrong, work with people who can supply tuning, provide them feedback, data, retry, etc. if you fail to get it to run, then you have to take it back apart and swap the cam. to me, its just too much trouble and risk. its easier to get a mild cam that someone else has already used with success, or, better, just get the rocker arm bolt on upgrade and leave the cam alone. just my opinion.

now on the other hand, if you want to take it to the strip and/or listen to it lope, and you've got lots patience and tools and money.. go for it.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 09-07-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Mike Roma
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What cam are you getting?
A lot of folks here have swapped cams, and can probably help more if they knew what cam you're thinking of.
Some work better with stock pcm than others.
Also as Dhvaughan suggested, you could just get 1.7 roller rockers instead if you want a mild upgrade.

Hypertech is more for stock engines. I wouldn't get one if I was thinking of mods like a cam. SCT or B&G would be more like it. Or maybe a Mopar pcm, if available.

Last edited by Mike Roma; 09-07-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:28 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't believe they made the Mopar performance PCMs for 2001s.

I will be doing the 1.7s upgrade here someday, because I don't want to go the route of the cam. The cam upgrade is just a bit too much for me (and I don't mean money, just time, effort, and this is my DD), but thats a personal preference.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

i have came to that same conclusion as you too jason. i am gonna go with the 1.7's too. do you have to change the valve covers for the 1.7 rr?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:15 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope, no valve cover change is necessary for the 1.7's Just bear in mind that the 1.7's add a hair of duration. When you increase valve duration at the same compression ratio, it causes an increase of hp, and a loss of torque. I can't be sure how much duration these rockers add, but if your looking to get up and go quicker... give her a shot. Lately i've been wanting torque which is why I never did the swap. When I talked to PA, he said he had not really noticed much of a difference with the 1.7's. Just some food for thought.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

i cannt remember who said it on here but i thought i read that 1.7's would get you about 20hp. this must not be the case huh?

Quick Reply: Tuning Confusion