2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What head gaskets?

Summit has 5 different one listed for a 01 5.9. Some are listed for different bore sizes. Which ones do I need???

This probably won't work but here is the page of the list http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

Old 09-07-2008, 10:43 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What are you going for? Just stock replacements? You can increase your compression ratio by decreasing the gasket thickness, but a "stronger" head gasket isn't always a good thing. The gasket can act like a safety valve so you don't punch a hole in a piston if the engine isn't running correctly.

Call Summit to make sure you get the correct ones for a stock application, if that's what you're going for. They sell performance gaskets and you don't want to get the wrong ones.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

I have no idea lol. I'm sure you have seen my threads on my future plans so I dont know what I need.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what you need for the top end:
http://www.hughesengines.com/partDet...711&eTypeID=10

Here is what you need for the front cover:
http://www.hughesengines.com/partDet...003&eTypeID=10

FWIW, I have never had any problems with fit or quality when using Fel-Pro. I've always used the standard size head gasket with no problems, even when bored .030 over. You will also need a non-hardening gasket sealer like Permatex No. 2 and a good quality RTV sealant like Permatex Blue. For your application, I would not use any of the racing steel gaskets. You need a head gasket with the relative same thickness as OEM, or you will have to mill the end rails of your intake to get it to seal.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Thanks td. I already have some of that stuff though that I ordered with my Plenum Pan kit so buying a whole kit would be kinda dumb. Hows your project coming along?

Quick Reply: What head gaskets?