2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm thinking of buying a 1998 SST D100...and I have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Evil Moose of Doom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm thinking of buying a 1998 SST D100...and I have some questions...

Hello again...

Well, oddly enough, I am seriously looking at buying a 1998 Dodge SST D100 truck....and well, I know it's supposed to have 240 or 245 HP, but it's....slow. I am also used to smaller mustangs, so I know the truck is fast...for a truck....but is there anything specific that I can to, so far as bolt-on mods go, that I could do to the truck to get it running just a bit quicker? It already has a Jet Stage II chip, a AirAid cold-air (well, hot engine air, anyway) intake....and not much else, other than a flowmaster muffler replacing the stock unit.

I don't mind tearing into the engine (I saw something about an intake manifold internal mod?), as I am more than capable, but I am more of a Ford guy, so I know more about what makes them tick, vs. the Dodge.....I would even welcome supercharger ideas or suggestions....or anything else I should look out for before buying it...

Thanks for any help,
Larry

Old 09-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Evil Moose of Doom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, after sorting through dozens of posts (there really isn't a DIY "Here's how to mod your 5.9!" thread anywhere)....let me try to rephrase part of my question:

Apparently, the direction I am wanting to go with this truck, is to put a better set of heads on it, and a good long-tube header exhaust system....

1. Edelbrock or R/T heads? Which is better for a 'truck', so far as not killing off low-end grunt, but waking it up everywhere else? Cost is not a consideration, and it won't be a daily driver....

2. tuning the truck will be a problem, if necessary....I don't mind leaving the stock cam in it, but are these roller cams, or flat tappets? Who, or what can tune this truck if I decide to add better heads and a cam? I can use a SCT tuner, if necessary...

3. Are the Southeast R/T headers that good, to warrant the cost?

4. The 'crank position sensor' mod....I didn't see a link on that...what exactly does it do?

Once again, any advice is appreciated.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of buying a 1998 SST D100...and I have some questions...