2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headers and cat-back alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headers and cat-back alignment question

I have a '99 1500 5.2. Two questions about headers and cat-back exhausts (as it would relate to a single out setup, not duals):

1) From the cat forward is a y-shaped pipe that connects the catalytic converter with the exhaust manifolds. I beleive it is simply called a y-pipe. So, if I want to install Mopar performance headers (not shorties), do you also have to get a new shorter y-pipe to connect your headers to your cat? Just looking at the length of my current y-pipe, and the length of most non-shorty headers, I see no way they would line up together.

2) If I decide to install a cat-back performance exhaust first, and do headers later, my cat-back should not be impacted by putting in long headers later, right? I just don't want to spend the money on a nice performance cat-back, only to find out I would need a different one later because it won't line up with headers.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:43 AM
maRdeR808
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headers and cat-back alignment question

1)yes you have to get a different y-pipe for long tube headers...you can buy them online at a number of places.
2) cat back will not be affected because its from the cat back. your catalytic converter acts like a connector between the 2 linking one to the other.

you can do all types of combinations...longtube headers, y-pipe, no cat, muffler....i believe there's a possible 48 different combinations of exhaust set ups... take your pick

Old 02-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Snafu

Remember, removing the cat is a federal offense that carries a $2500 fine. Any cop can write you if they want to be a bastid. That being said, my Blazer hasn't had a cat since 1997. But it's an offroad only vehicle now.

I'm planning a system for my Ram that involves shorty headers and true duals, with dual cats. Just hope the current system lasts til it's warm out...

Old 02-02-2005, 12:05 PM
moparman95
Rookie

So could you get the longtube headers, custom y-pipe, hi flow cat w/ dual cat back exhaust? Will these lonmgtube headers affect the o2 sensors at all?

Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Snafu

Your o2 sensors are on either side of the cat, so the headers don't affect them at all. Any true dual system will have to be custom bent by a good exhaust shop, which makes it a bit more pricey, as does adding a second cat. I'm not sure how the o2 sensors will react to a true dual system. Dodge had a heavy duty emissions package on the 3/4 and 1 tons that came from the factory with true duals and dual cats. I may just find an aftermarket replacement for that system. It has a single o2 sensor before each cat, and requires a different PCM, possibly different wiring but I'm not sure.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:36 PM
moparman95
Rookie

On my truck there is only one 02 before the cat too. So would I have to change my PCM or wiring on mine.

Quick Reply: Headers and cat-back alignment question