2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

In Case of AC emergency

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
wvjefo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Case of AC emergency

Had my AC go down. Compressor went out & took the clutch with it. I was worried about the bad AC tearing the serpentine belt up. I bought a belt for the 360 without AC TOO SMALL.

Just in case A Dayco belt # 5070900 is 1 1/2 inches longer & works like a charm. The belt is actually for a toyota.

Jeff

Old 09-10-2008, 12:14 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking on these for some reason people said you can't run a belt for the non a/c. I thought you had to run one with a a/c delete pulley. Am I wrong here? I may very well be. I don't know why I was thinking that.

Also if you unplugged the wires to the compressor would it let the pulley spin? On my Chevy I just unplugged the compressor when it locked up. That would let the pulley spin so it didn't tear the belt up. I did that for a month or two until I got the A/C fixed.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 AM
wvjefo
Professional

I was a bit under the gun to do something fast I needed to get back to work the next day & I was 120 miles away. Under the hood was the belt routing for a/c and without a/c. Looked very straight forward. Rather than play with the a/c changing the belt seemed to be the way to go. It is working just fine & getting better gas mileage too.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 AM
toader222

if youare looking to get rid of the AC compressor permanently summit has a direct replacement for the compressor that is basically just a pulley and 4 bolts allowing you to keep using your factory belt with no drag from the AC. just somthing to think about...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by toader222; 09-11-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 PM
kossuth
Professional

Originally Posted by wvjefo
Had my AC go down. Compressor went out & took the clutch with it. I was worried about the bad AC tearing the serpentine belt up. I bought a belt for the 360 without AC TOO SMALL.

Just in case A Dayco belt # 5070900 is 1 1/2 inches longer & works like a charm. The belt is actually for a toyota.

Jeff
Yep, I found this out last friday when I bypassed the compressor on my truck. The book calls for a 5070885 but I found a 5070900 is the only one that would work. I checked with the dealer to see what the deal was if the AC and non AC trucks use different idlers or something and nope same same. They did list an optional belt though that might have been alittle larger for non AC trucks. Maybe they already knew about this, but the parts guy couldn't tell me how long this optional belt was.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 PM
kossuth
Professional

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I was thinking on these for some reason people said you can't run a belt for the non a/c. I thought you had to run one with a a/c delete pulley. Am I wrong here? I may very well be. I don't know why I was thinking that.

Also if you unplugged the wires to the compressor would it let the pulley spin? On my Chevy I just unplugged the compressor when it locked up. That would let the pulley spin so it didn't tear the belt up. I did that for a month or two until I got the A/C fixed.
Pulleys and idlers are all the same on AC and non AC trucks. Also, if what happened to his truck which happened to mine is all the bearings went out on the clutch and the compressor. I can move my AC clutch pulley up, down, left, right, in, and out about 1 1/2 inches. Made an awful noise

Old 09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bypassing it is fine if the compressor is blown, but they are made to cycle once in a while to keep the seals from drying out and bearings lubed . And they also cycle in the winter when the defrosters are on to help with condensation on the windshield.

Quick Reply: In Case of AC emergency