2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help with tryin to get my reverse lights to work

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
99DRAM31887
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help with tryin to get my reverse lights to work

ok heres the thing my reverse lights dnt work... and i have rplaced the bulbs and checked all the fuses anyone eles have a thought as to why they dnt work.... iam open to every idea iam trying to keep from buyin new wiring and rewirein both sides or gettin my dodge house to do it

Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Mark Benson
Rookie

Try replacing the neutral safty switch on the left side of the transmission it has a 3-wire connector.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Kindschi
Veteran

Its a common dodge problem, I got 3 other friends who own 2nd gen Dodges and they all dont have reverse lights. What works for us if we really need them is while the truck is in reverse wiggle the shifter around around and they might come on... Dont move it outta R just wiggle it in place and see whats happen, If I wiggle mine down alittle they will come on but I gotta hold the stick down.

If that dont work try some of the other ideas posted here by members

Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
95laRAMie
Rookie

i had some of my brake lights not working, and i checked the harness out back that runs btwn both lights on both sides and the trailer hitch conections. found a torn ground wire btwn the lights and the trailer hitch wiring. for some reason dodge shared the wiring for the tail lights as they did the trailer hitch....hopefully that helps you

Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my lights dont work either. ANYONE have problems with their 4 ways not working right away? I left mine on once when cleaning the truck and it took 3 hours for them to start blinking lol...

Old 09-13-2008, 01:17 PM
dspitko1
Amateur

I have the same issue with my 98 ram van 1500 v6 If I wiggle the shift lever the lights will go on but not when the shifter is fully locked in reverse. I need to get this fixed due to the local officer friendlies pointing it out to me.

How hard is it to replace the neutral safety switch?

Last edited by dspitko1; 09-13-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Originally Posted by dspitko1
I need to get this fixed due to the local officer friendlies pointing it out to me.
I live in Missouri and its not required to have Reverse lights when getting the state inspection. But I heard that if just one bulbs work they both have to work... not sure how true that is.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:06 PM
dspitko1
Amateur

QUOTE=Kindschi;1406367]I live in Missouri and its not required to have Reverse lights when getting the state inspection. But I heard that if just one bulbs work they both have to work... not sure how true that is.[/QUOTE]

I haven't checked out the laws here in IL but I don't need the Mrs. getting into a fender bender backing out of somewhere because some idiot won't see her backing out. Anything I can do to prevent damage (lord knows she has done enough to my van already)

Old 09-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Ditto that! my Ex-Girlfriend backed right into my Camaro while I was in her car with her. I Felt a bump and my Car alarm started going off, she looks over and says "oopsie!" ..lol

Old 09-13-2008, 06:35 PM
dspitko1
Amateur

lol when we first go thte van a pylon at the bank drive through "jumped out" as she was turning...needless to say she turned too sharp and too early....next major thing was the house jumped out at her...I have some nice white house paint on my van now........this is among many things to a few cars she has been behind the wheel of.....

Quick Reply: help with tryin to get my reverse lights to work