2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Gague???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 AM
dnfd737
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Fuel Gague???

So as I sat last night watching gas prices go up in a hurricane panic I decided to head out to get some gas, I dont drive the truck much but thought better get some while I need it. Gague said 1/4 got 3 blocks away from home it started running poorly missing a lot. Then died. Called my neighbor he came and pulled my truck home. After no codes varify spark I did a fuel system check, no gas. I could hear the fuel pump so I knew that was good, then for fun decided to dump 5 gal. gas in the tank and try to start, took 3 tries but it started running and back to normal. Went to the gas station and it took another 31 gallons, thats 36 gallons total, maybe 35.5 so it was empty but still showine 1/4. How do I fix this fun problem?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:42 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a problem where the gas gauge would intermittently read E when I knew there was a lot of gas in the tank.

There's a little silver strip on the gauge reader in the tank that gets covered with sulfur and can cause this problem. Try running the tank down to a 1/4 and run 2 bottles of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus (get that exact type) and run the tank almost empty. It should get that silver strip clean. Worked great for me and I haven't had the problem repeat in over a year.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:09 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Worst case, you probably only need a new sending unit. Approximately $250-$300 labor and parts if you have a mechanic do it for you.

Had it go out on my 1995 Dakota, thats how I know the price.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gague???