2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck burns a ton oil? Valve seals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:47 PM
riceater45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck burns a ton oil? Valve seals?

Alright i have a 97 lifted doge ram its not stock lol but i have dual exhuast with no cats going into maganaflow expansion champers coming out right before the passenger side back tire! and when i start the truck up i huge cloud of smoke comes out and its got a blue tint to it so its oil most likely! it only burns alot when i start and then when i get on it hard? im thinking its my valve seals what do you guys think? this happend after i put Q horse power full synthetic motor oil in it. so im guessing the guy before me had mineral motor oil in it and when i put synthetic in it freed up deposits some which would might have been helping my parts seal? anyways what do you guys think? anybody esle have this problem?

Old 09-14-2008, 03:06 PM
bbourns
Rookie

i would have to guess your v.guides. Usually when you have a bad v.guide when you first start your vehicle it will burn off the oil that has dripped down onto the valve from the valve guide you can repair these takes a little bit of thought but you can actually use air to hold up the valve and replace the valve but don't take my word for sure on thats whats goin on its only if i had to guess

Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked your plenum gasket?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

pull the intake manifold and repair the plenum gasket

Old 09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
APA228
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your truck is smoking on start up it most likely the valve guides as said above. They will also cause smoke upon deceleration fwhen increased engine vacuum will suck oil past the guides.

If the truck is smoking when you are getting on the throttle it will be your rings allowing oil to pass.

The Good news is, if it is the valve guides you can put "umbrella" seals over the valve stems inside the springs. To do this you need to be very careful that the valve does not drop into the cylinder. As said above air pressure can be used to hold the valve in the closed position. You have to make a sparkplug into an air inlet, put it in place of the sparkplug hole for the cylinder you are working on and keep air pressure on the cylinder. The piston MUST be at Bottom Dead Center.

The bad news is that if it is your rings you are looking at an engine rebuild.

Quick Reply: Truck burns a ton oil? Valve seals?