2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:08 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Smell

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure I keep getting slight woofs of motor oil when I'm driving my truck, particularly when I have the heat on, but not exclusively. It's not consistent, it's just every once and awhile I'll get a faint smell in my noise of Amsoil. Then today when I was driving, I could really smell it on the way down to work. When I got to work and parked the truck, it stunk very badly. I checked the oil and the levels were good, and it doesn't appear to have any kind of leak. Any ideas guys, thank you.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:20 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

is it smellin burnt? or just raw? check the starter and bellhousing and see if there is oil on it, usually a valve cover leak.

hell check the plenum, unless you already have it fixed.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:29 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know my front main seal used to sweat, and I used to be able to smell it. But I could notice the smell when i was either stopped at a light for a while or when i was idling and i was out of the truck
it stopped sweating when i used better oil.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure I keep getting slight woofs of motor oil when I'm driving my truck, particularly when I have the heat on, but not exclusively. It's not consistent, it's just every once and awhile I'll get a faint smell in my noise of Amsoil. Then today when I was driving, I could really smell it on the way down to work. When I got to work and parked the truck, it stunk very badly. I checked the oil and the levels were good, and it doesn't appear to have any kind of leak. Any ideas guys, thank you.
It doesn't smell burnt, just smells like I'm smelling into a bottle of motor oil, so I would say rod. I'm not completely positive though. When I'm driving it smells raw. But when I parked the vehicle and smelled the engine from the tire fender, it defiantly reeked of burnt motor oil.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the redlining and racing you are doing is slowly killing your truck. it started with your tranny, now you are killing that motor.

best of luck with whatever it is causing the issue.

I'd do an oil change, just to see what your oil looked/smelled like.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

crawl up under the truck with a can of brake parts cleaner and spray the under side. then drive it and see where the oil, if any, shows up underneath. if your smellin its burnt its hittin your headers somewhere.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Hopefully you have a friend at a shop close by, have him clean the old oil and crud off your motor and under belly and have him dye your oil and drive it around for a day and bring it back and see if its leaking. At the shop I work at we use a UV light and yellow glasses with this dye that shows up redish when lit. Dye takes awhile to wear off so how many miles is not really as important as how long the motor runs... at least an hour or two to make sure the dye works itself around and comes out of the leakage. Some people stuff is so dirty its hard to see where the oil is coming out of.

Best Of Luck! Hopefully its nothing major

Old 09-20-2008, 07:21 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Thank you guys for the tips. I did just recently change the oil to do, about a month ago. I used Amsoil 10w-30, I only have about 2,000 miles into it. So it should be clean oil. I'm hoping it's not from a couple of the races I did with my brother and my friend. Really though I just want this transmission out of my truck. I have a feeling it's causing damage on my engine at this point. It's just shifting extremely sporadically. It just sits there forever to shift through gears, it's hit or miss. Sometimes it shifts out of first on time, while other times it will go up to 2500-2800 rpms before it will finally shift. It will do this through all of the gears, not to mention not even get into overdrive until 52mph. So my truck just sits there forever getting through the gears, wining my engine out for extended period of times. It just seems taxing for my engine driving around having it wine out. Piece of **** transmission for sure. I hope I get the oppurtunity to buy an APS and have the dealership install it.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

How is that lawyer thing going? I know these things take time, just curious.

My lawyer is currently fighting a guy (and his lawyer) over an accident I had about three and a half to four years ago. My front driver's side brake on my 1995 Dakota failed on a rainy day, and I couldn't stop. Ended up hitting a guy in his early '90s Chevrolet Cavalier at about 35-45 mph (it was on an off-ramp from the interstate). All I needed was a new grille, headlamps, bumper, and front valance. His car was totaled, his trunk was in his back seat.

My insurance company tried to call him repeatedly after the accident, and offered him somewhere around ten grand. They could never get a hold of him, and his own lawyers dropped him because they couldn't get a hold of him either.

Anyway, two years and about ten months later, my insurance company and I are served with papers. He has hired new layers, and is suing for medical expenses, among other things, including "loss of enjoyment of life". The statute of limitations on a car accident is three years.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

well you still need to check on that leak. its gonna drain the oil down and your gonna really f the engine up. could be from the oil filter, if you replaced it. Did you put oil on the gasket when installin it?

Quick Reply: Oil Smell