2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:23 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will defiantly be keeping an eye on the oil level. I checked it yesterday and it seemed to be doing fine. Today when I was underneath the truck reinstalling the transmission skid plates I looked for leaks. There was green goo coming out of where the rear main seal was. Is this coolant? Didn't see any oil leaks on my driveway though, and the truck sat over night. Maybe just been hitting a couple of fluke days. I'll keep an eye on the levels though.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

2,000 miles in one month? Holy rubber, thats a lot of miles for such a short period.

Coolant should be a milky white when mixed in your oil, I believe. There are green dyes that are used to locate leaks that sometimes are mixed in with oil. But if you changed it yourself last time, you didn't mix any in, did you?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:36 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Should not be anything mixed in. Today the truck didn't seem to make any smells. I think it must have been related to racing the other night. I should not have been partaking in races with an incompetent and poorly adjusted transmission, too much abuse on my engine. I am having a hard time assessing this problem accurately though, it feels like it's just related to the poor adjusting of this transmission. Have not heard anything back yet from the lawyer. It's been 9 days since we first met. There is a possibility he sent it out last Friday, but wouldn't a lawyer usually send you his letter before are quickly after he sent it out? That transmission shop is such a joke. He did two separate things that extremely justified for sending that letter. Not only did he wrongfully charge me, but he did not even tell me what he was going to do. More so, he once again gave me a transmission that is extremely non adjusted. I know he knows there is something faulty. He clearly gave me the bill to scare me off. He tried giving me a big bill with a transmission that is clearly shifting terribly.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:33 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

i know one things for sure, if it was my truck that trans would be running properly. id make sure of it, if i payed that kind of money.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:57 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt the transmission is hurting your engine that much. I could be wrong but I just don't see that being the cause. I suspect your engine has some issues too that are not related to the transmission.

As for the transmission I do think you got ripped off and hopefully you can get that taken care of. The not telling you what they were doing or what was in it when you got it was partially your own fault though as several of us told you to find out what was in it and you didn't seem to see it fit to ask as you thought the 3 year warranty was good enough.

On the other hand while that was your fault I think you still got ripped off and they should have fixed the transmission. If the only issue here was that it didn't have many or any heavy duty parts in it I'd say it's your fault but since it doesn't work properly and they have been given numerous chances to fix it and been unable to do so I'd say it's their fault.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:38 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by motorbrreath
i know one things for sure, if it was my truck that trans would be running properly. id make sure of it, if i payed that kind of money.
I bet most people would have too. I take complete responsibility for not cutting it off way earlier. Instead I tried to play patient nice guy. All that did for me was waste more time, and for them to ignore me further. Had I jumped on this earlier and asked for the build sheet, and then a swap, I may still have had my 35" tires. Naturally, I just wanted things to work. I also wasn't sure if I was expecting too much for an older truck, but now since it's been months, it made it clear it was their unit and not that I was asking for too much. Another learned lesson. I don't let business men dictate things now though. I've learned not to be friendly either, just plain neutral. I'm sure some people can pull off relationships with mechanics, but in my book, they are neutral. I don't make jokes anymore. Just remain straight forward, otherwise you can get deep into a bill with mechanics if they think you will fall for it.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:13 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends entirely on the mechanic.

Sort of like salesmen. Some will tell you how it is, some will say whatever it takes to get you to buy the product. Trouble is, you're right, you have to treat them cautiously until you figure out which one they are.

Quick Reply: Oil Smell