2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3.9 3.9L V6 mods, modifications? THE DISCUSSION STARTS HERE:

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:01 PM
mtbnathan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3.9 3.9L V6 mods, modifications? THE DISCUSSION STARTS HERE:

I'M LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE TWEAKING AND TINKERING WITH THEIR 3.9L V6 RAM. The information on V6 Ram modifications, mods, seems sparse on here. I recently bought my RAM. Have had a lot of issues with my new RAM (I'm more of a VW, imports, car guy). I have had a lot of success improving my VW's and the info is plentiful for VW's. VW owners seem (seem?) more organized, and they share info...because they love their cars??

Forgive the capitals (I'll use them to add emphasis to main points); I'm not shouting.

I HAVE A 1998 3.9L V6 2WD RAM w the SHORT BED and AUTO. TRANS. It has a new Carolina Machine Engines Remanf. engine, which got 23 MPG last week. I'm pleased with the early MPG results, but not so pleased with the engine sound at idle and sound/performance at acceleration. NOTE: The top end of the engine is stock with 145,000 miles on it.

I wonder if I need to replace a few things? My guesses (and they are guesses; remember I'm an import guy) are to possibly replace the fuel injectors, the Electronic Control Unit, ECU (or Dodge equilavent), or throttle body. NOTE: the plugs, wires, distributor are new. WHERE MIGHT YOU START? Am I starting where you would, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Remember the truck runs, but not like a clock, real smooth, smooth enough for me. I want this engine "in tune" "purring"...

The distributor and timing where checked and adjusted last week, by a dealership The check engine light had come on; the dealership told me the distributor was the culprit. They said it was misaligned, improperly positioned. They claimed to position it correctly, rechecked the timing, and adjusted the timing. I have since detected a knock, but has been coming and going. I have NEVER detected a knock prior to my visit to the Dodge dealership. I'm concerned about this knock with the motor being new, less than 1200 miles on it. I will continue to look, detect, this knock, but it seems to have subsided for now.

Aside from the normal tuning, I would like to improve the intake and exhaust. I replaced/upgraded the exhaust manifolds on 2 of VW's I've owned; I understand these engines have exhaust manifolds, but headers delete those. Who recommends headers? Would it serve me better to just upgrade the exhaust behind the stock exhaust manifolds?

I'M THINKING OF GAINS IN RELATION TO COSTS. I put a lot of money into my 1987 Jetta, $6000, only to have it totaled by one inattentive driver. I don't want to repeat that financial debacle.

THE EXHAUST SYSTEMS: are there dual exhaust systems available for the 3.9L V6 that I have? I used to have Borla systems on my VW's and they were very nice, good performance and good note/sound. WHO STANDS ATOP FOR PERFORMANCE IN DODGES, OR THE TRUCK WORLD? If not dual exhaust, I want to good single exhaust system from a proven leader in quality.

THE INTAKE: A K&N filter in the stock intact box would give minor gains; are their aftermarket intakes for the V6? Who makes them?

THE GEARING: This is a street truck for me;I never plan to go offroad. So, would a rear pumpkin gear swap do much? Of a gear change, what might the pros and cons be?

LET'S MAKE THIS THREAD A REFERENCE FOR 3.9L V6 OWNERS. Please don't gripe, or vent. I'd like to make this a useful concise source for information on improving our trucks.

-Nathan Tock

Old 09-21-2008, 03:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you happen to know what the code was for the CEL? I'm willing to bet they retarded the timing with what we call around here The Death flash! But I don't know enough about the v6 to recommend checking the plenum gasket. Which is why the flash was performed to mask that problem(on the V8). Oh BTW, I have an 88 Dakota with a V6 and tried 3 or 4 different exhausts years ago and could never really find one that sounded good with the v6.

Last edited by zman17; 09-21-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't see why you couldn't do most of the same upgrades that the V8 crew does. IIRC even Fastman has a TB for the v6. You could do the 14x3 air cleaner mod, if you go to you tube you can listen /watch videos of peoples V6 exhausts too. I never tried the FlowMaster exhaust on my Dakota years ago , but, I bet they sound nice. And as far as gearing goes that all depends on what you want out of it and how and where you drive it most.There are tons of things and I'm sure a lot of people here will chime in. Oh, I'm sure you can get a tuner for it also, Like SCT for instance.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:35 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There's an entire subforum for V6 guys, not just this thread. I suggest you search and post there for the most benefit.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:18 PM
mtbnathan

Originally Posted by zman17
Do you happen to know what the code was for the CEL? I'm willing to bet they retarded the timing with what we call around here The Death flash!
What's the death flash? Elaborate, please.

The code was a misfire. I saw it with my own eyes; i first went to a fleet shop for a Christian non-profit org (CAP). They plugged into my truck and scanned for the code. The misfire was so bad, that the mechanic could not clear the Check Engine Light. He tried twice to force a clear on the Check Engine Light.

I took it to the dealership because I assume they would not try any funny business and they would be familiar with all the engine issues, that this V6 typically has.

That said. I find it appauling that a Dodge dealership would attempt to kill my new motor with about 1000 miles on it; why? It's under warantee. I just want a great running Dodge. I hate how these dealers seem to hate anything, but the current model year (or that's the attitude I've been getting). My VW dealership never gave me that crap; I'd go somewhere else for my parts.

My Nissan dealership did just that, attitude about my 240Z with 64,000 miles. I do all the work on it myself now. After I waited 4 weeks to get my car in for a full tune up;they didn't even order spark plugs wires! The damn thing back fired at the corner, right in front of the show room! I pealed around the showroom, wheels spinning, went back in and asked what the hell they did for a $400 bill. They claimed I had a bent chock cable. I asked, "Why, didn't you order it and replace it?!" Idiots, these dealerships. They wonder why we switch brand loyalty? It's dishonest service that makes people switch loyalties. I feel they think we're all too stupid or desparate to change brands.

Sorry, about the tangent.

I'll get to the bottom of my Dodge. I'll post more pics soon. I am rebuilding my Dodge from the grave, so, lots to tell.

New engine with lots of new pumps, hoses, belts.
New Bilstein H.D. shocks
New transmission

Soon to come (in the next month):
OEM grille
OEM bumber (with new covers, and valance)
Paint on hood, fenders, and dinged drivers door
Headlights (originals foggy/faded)

Sooner or later:
New tires
New wheels (thinking 17 x 8 Crager soft 8's with OEM 2002-2007 chrome centers)
Rear bumber repainted gloss black

Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 PM
mtbnathan

The V6 thread is for the 3rd generation. A lot of talk about the newer V6, the 3.7L is it? I searched hours and gave up. There needs to be an independant 2nd gen. V6 thread.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbnathan
What's the death flash? Elaborate, please.
If you do a search, you'll find the answer to that question pretty quick.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll elaborate on it.

Quick Reply: 3.9 3.9L V6 mods, modifications? THE DISCUSSION STARTS HERE: