2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake + ABS light flashes

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 PM
v8_dave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake + ABS light flashes

Just snatched up this truck because the brake lines were all rotted. So I just ran 3 new lines (very quick if anyone is considering it, took 3-4hrs). The pedal is now fairly solid and all the wheels lock up on a panic stop except the back drivers side (may need adjustment).

The issue is that the brake and ABS lights stay on all the time except when braking firmly they flash off. Now I have had the inverse of that happen to me on a Voyager and it was the master cylinder (the van also stopped crappy, but this truck doesn't).

Another symptom is there is a geyser when pushing the brakes if I don't put the brake reservoir lid on. I haven't seen that before, it causes a bubbly reservoir.

Any ideas why it is doing this? Why do I even have a working ABS light if I don't have an ABS system?

Thanks for the help!

-Dave
'94 Ram 1500 5.2 2WD

Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 PM
95 Jamin Ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably did do this but did you bleed them?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

You have a Rear Wheel Anti-Lock (RWAL) system, minimally. Hence the ABS light. If your rears lock up in a panic stop, it may be indicative of a RWAL system malfunction.

My lamp was on because the fuse for the ABS was missing. Replaced the fuse and light went out. I got another after I bled the brakes and forgot to plug the electical connector to the RWAL valve and started the truck. Light came back on and I had to clear the PCM.

If you have checked all the fuses and connectors, try resetting your PCM. It may have a fault stored. The method I use is to pull the neg battery cable and turn the ignition to start for 30 seconds.

If all else fails, you may have a faulty Rear Wheel Speed Sensor, sits on top of the rear differential. When this fails, many people report erratic speedometer behavior.

Can't help you with the geyser.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had both the brake and the abs lights go off on me when i hooked up to a car trailer that had all the wiring mixed up which didn't match the wiring on my truck and it blew the fuse come to find out. so i replaced the fuse and it took care of both those lights...they both went off. so maybe check your fuse if you haven't already but your scenario is different than mine...good luck

Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 PM
v8_dave

Thanks guys for the efforts to help. I did bleed the brakes as much as I could properly. I am going to check the shoes and adjustment in the back as that may be why only one tire locked up.

I tried pulling the RWAL Code by grounding the black terminal under the dash, but all it did was turn on the ABS light/ brake light on all the time, no flashing. It takes about 1/2 pedal before the lights turn off usually. Any ideas what this means? I did reset the PCM by leaving the batt disconnected and such for days. I checked the fuse and wiggled the connector on the solenoids. I will play with the VSS sensor too. Looks like I may try to replace that, but would like to be able to pull a code first. Thanks all - Dave

Quick Reply: Brake + ABS light flashes