2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:13 PM
oiler
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question

I am trying to diagnose why my A/C won't work. It is a 1999 with a 5.9 which I purchased used knowing it needed work. Question is am I missing a wire going to the compressor? And if I am, where is it supposed to lead to? The compressor does not kick in at all. It is a 1500 if that matters. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails A/C Question-028.jpg   A/C Question-026.jpg  
Old 09-27-2008, 03:16 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a switch in that first picture. It should have a plug with wires coming to it that plugs in there. I'm not sure what there is in that second picture. Maybe check and see if that plug is tucked away there somewhere. Never traced it back so not sure where it goes back to.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:48 PM
oiler
Professional

I've been looking for a wire but no luck yet. The water pump and timing cover were replaced before i got the truck, but it does'nt look like the compressor needed to be removed to do it. But I'll keep searching.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:50 PM
oiler
Professional

Found it! I guess they did tear the whole front off the motor. It was hiding under the big aluminum bracket. Thanks HTM.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:04 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

After getting it plugged up does it work? I have recently done A/C work on my truck so I know the basics of it but not a lot more. I know just enough to get started haha.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:07 PM
oiler
Professional

Okay, everything is back together and plugged in. But A/C is still a no go. I used a curcuit tester to see if I had power at both the M.I.A. plug and the the plug from behind the clutch but theres no power at either. The clutch is not cycling, It won't spin at all. If the system was empty would it cause this?

Old 09-27-2008, 06:32 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

If it was completely empty the compressor wouldn't run. If it's low but not completely empty the compressor will kick on and off as it's only on where there is refrigerant coming though. I wonder if it's a more serious problem since they disconnected it. You could try to have it charged and see if it makes the compressor come on. If you do that or any other A/C work do it at your own risk as it sounds like it can be dangerous. A buddy also told me never to touch the compressor while the truck or a/c is running as he lost his finger like that. So just be careful and do everything at your own risk.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:53 PM
oiler
Professional

The guy told me the A/C ''blows cold'', but the truck wasen't running when I bought it so no way to know. Judging by the location of the plug, I think they accidently left it there when it was put back together and were to lazy to do it all over again. I understand your concern over offering advice, any opinions on throwing a can of refrigerant like the one's the parts stores carry? Thanks again. Oh, I did check the comp. fuse and relay and both are O.K.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:52 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

You could do that just get one without any stop leak and get one with a gauge or get a set of A/C gauges. I just have to say do this at your own risk. That being said I've charged mine up pretty easily. You don't want too much in there or it could get dangerous.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:40 AM
oiler
Professional

I'll try it tomorrow. My only question now is why I dident have power to the clutch? Perhaps it will present itself in the morning.

Quick Reply: A/C Question