2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 way flasher problems... not working at all now!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 way flasher problems... not working at all now!

Hey everyone.

I came across this problem a month or so ago. When you push the 4 way button, you hear the flasher click once, and thats it. If you leave the switch on the steering column on, they would eventually come on ( the first time I had the problem they came on 2 hours later). The same thing happened a week ago, but they came on 15 min later. Now they wont come on at all. All the other lights work perfectly fine. I swapped flashers, made no difference. 15A fuse under the hood is okay. Replace the steering column switch????

Old 09-29-2008, 08:51 PM
vmann
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well first off they are called hazard's or your hazard lights. Check all the lights and fuses to make sure they are working. Its a good place to start.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Keegan
Professional

All fuses checked, relays swapped as well. I went and changed the steering column switch today and nothing happened.

4 ways.... hazards... emergency flashers.. you say potato... etc. haha.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 AM
APA228
Professional

Had you done voltage and resistance checks on the terminations when you pulled the old switch before putting the new one in? If not I would suggest you remove the switch again and use a multimeter to check for voltage to the switch. There is a pink/white wire that feeds power from the PDC fuse "C" to the flasher and then to the switch unit. Check for voltage into the flasher socket first, if there is none replace fuse "C". If there is use a jumper wire to take the place of the flasher and check for voltage at the switch on the pink/white wire at terminal 13. If you have voltage there the switch is bad. If not the wiring to the switch from the flasher is bad. This eliminates the wiring as a problem.
The next step is to do a resistance test on the switch itself. Set the meter to Ohms and put one lead of the meter on terminal 13 of the switch and the other on terminals 11, 12, 15 and 16 one at a time, with the switch in the on position. You should read low resistance (a couple Ohms) on all 4 terminals. If not the switch is bad. The flasher needs a certain amount of current passing through it to activate and poor contact on the switch will not let this happen. By the way, for us old geezers these are still called four way flashers, but a rose is a rose.
Good luck-

Last edited by APA228; 10-01-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Keegan
Professional

Thanks! I will look into that over the weekend!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Keegan
Professional

Well I just decided to get the shop thats doing the safety to look at it and they got them working... I'll keep everyone posted on what the cause was.

Quick Reply: 4 way flasher problems... not working at all now!