2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:07 AM
TXcharger07
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha i meant the price of the heads sucks! sorry...

i think ford has some injectors that most people use, not sure on what exactly they were though...

Old 10-04-2008, 09:07 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this came up in another discussion but is worth reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standard_engines

sample quote:

E85 gives particularly good results in turbocharged cars due to its high octane. It allows the ECU to run more favorable ignition timing and leaner fuel mixtures than are possible on normal premium gasoline. Users who have experimented with converting OBDII (i.e., On-Board Diagnostic System 2, that is for 1996 model year and later) turbocharged cars to run on E85 have had very good results. Experiments indicate that most OBDII-specification turbocharged cars can run up to approximately 39% E85 (33% ethanol) with no MILs or other problems. (In contrast, most OBDII specification fuel-injected non-turbocharged cars and light trucks are more forgiving and can usually operate well with in excess of 50% E85 (42% ethanol) prior to having MILs occur.) Fuel system compatibility issues have not been reported for any OBDII cars or light trucks running on high ethanol mixes of E85 and gasoline for periods of time exceeding two years. (This is likely to be the outcome justifiably expected of the normal conservative automotive engineer's predisposition not to design a fuel system merely resistant to ethanol in E10, or 10% percentages, but instead to select materials for the fuel system that are nearly impervious to ethanol.)
Fuel economy does not drop as much as might be expected in turbocharged engines based on the specific energy content of E85 compared to gasoline, in contrast to the previously-reported reduction of 23.7% reduction in a 60:40 blend of gasoline to E85 for one non-turbocharged, fuel-injected, non-FFV. The reason for this non-intuitive difference is that the turbocharged engine seems especially well-suited for operation on E85, for it in effect has a variable compression ratio capability, which is exactly what is needed to accommodate varying ethanol and gasoline ratios that occur in practice in an FFV. At light load cruise, the turbocharged engine operates as a low compression engine. Under high load and high manifold boost pressures, such as accelerating to pass or merge onto a highway, it makes full use of the higher octane of E85. It appears that due to the better ignition timing and better engine performance on a fuel of 100 octane, the driver spends less time at high throttle openings, and can cruise in a higher gear and at lower throttle openings than is possible on 100% premium gasoline. In daily commute driving, mostly highway, 100% E85 in a turbocharged car can hit fuel mileages of over 90% of the normal gasoline fuel economy. Tests indicate approximately a 5% increase in engine performance is possible by switching to E85 fuel in high performance cars.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Activate
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have one in my truck and it runs great!!
\
But I have a problem right now, the belt is strppied and I can not read the partnumber anymore.

Wich one do I need??

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Activate
I also have one in my truck and it runs great!!
\
But I have a problem right now, the belt is strppied and I can not read the partnumber anymore.

Wich one do I need??

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.
You could take the belt off, and take it to a Napa. Ask them to find a belt that is the same size as the Kenne belt.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey man sounds like an awesome project , do you hav to do internal work for this supercharger???? and i think fastman makes a throttle body for superchagers

also you have any pics or videos of this beast lol

Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

just went out and checked on the belt number

K071134

How much boost are you running? Having trouble with your belt slipping?
At what rpm are you making full boost?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:46 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

xskylinedx little OT but when you going to get sum pic's? is all the body work done?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:53 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
xskylinedx little OT but when you going to get sum pic's? is all the body work done?
You called me on that one :-) I do owe some pics.
The body is done with the truck but i've only just begun building the winch bumper. I was going to wait until I had it built and installed. I've been back and forth with hemifever and I think we are almost where the tune needs to be, I'm glad he is patient. Just fixed a belt slipping issue, wow what a difference. Broke the truck loose on a wet road at 45mph, gotta relearn how to drive it :-D

Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
CaptCameltoe
Professional

can you even get the boost a pump anymore? Last time I actually gave a half serious thought to a blower was a Kenne Bell kit someone was sellin. I contacted KB and was told no Dodge kit specific parts were available, this was about 4 years ago. As I have said time and time again, these blower kits are for sale for a reason. They are finicky when workin right with belt slippage issues and on the Dodges (other brands are hassles too) are a pain in the tail to get in tune. I would run stock injectors and rely on additional injectors for the added fuel, otherwise you'll probably be runnin pig rich all the time and still may lean out on the top end.

When I had my turbo Omni my super 60 pcm was good for 18psi of boost. When I wanted more boost I ran additional injectors (cold start injectors off vw's) hooked up to pressure sensitive hobbs switches to feed the extra fuel. I had 2 injectors mounted in the intake plumbin right in front of the throttle body, they were each good for 4 psi and I never did have any detonation problems on that car. So I could have probably eked another 1-2 lbs of boost out of the thing. Thats the route I would go and closely monitor things via a good EGT guage, air fuel ratio guage etc. make sure to play in baby steps keepin a close eye on all these parameters and back out at any signs of detonation.

Honestly for the money you'll have in this and possible aggrevation, you could have one sweet nitrous system setup. good luck

Old 12-18-2008, 09:10 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe
can you even get the boost a pump anymore? Last time I actually gave a half serious thought to a blower was a Kenne Bell kit someone was sellin. I contacted KB and was told no Dodge kit specific parts were available, this was about 4 years ago. As I have said time and time again, these blower kits are for sale for a reason. They are finicky when workin right with belt slippage issues and on the Dodges (other brands are hassles too) are a pain in the tail to get in tune. I would run stock injectors and rely on additional injectors for the added fuel, otherwise you'll probably be runnin pig rich all the time and still may lean out on the top end.

When I had my turbo Omni my super 60 pcm was good for 18psi of boost. When I wanted more boost I ran additional injectors (cold start injectors off vw's) hooked up to pressure sensitive hobbs switches to feed the extra fuel. I had 2 injectors mounted in the intake plumbin right in front of the throttle body, they were each good for 4 psi and I never did have any detonation problems on that car. So I could have probably eked another 1-2 lbs of boost out of the thing. Thats the route I would go and closely monitor things via a good EGT guage, air fuel ratio guage etc. make sure to play in baby steps keepin a close eye on all these parameters and back out at any signs of detonation.

Honestly for the money you'll have in this and possible aggrevation, you could have one sweet nitrous system setup. good luck
thanks for the luck and the good info. but..... gotta disagree on some stuff, with respect.
Extra injectors are a poor way to go IMO
I'm running 60lb'ers on with a 2 bar map. no trouble with it being too rich, actually took a couple of tunes (SCT) to get it out of the lean.
It took a couple of tries but I'm very confident i've conquered the belt slipping issues.
Personally i'm not a nitrous guy. I'd like it as an extra but I'd still very much rather have forced induction

I will agree with you on ....
Monitoring everything with gauges
Getting it tuned it takes TIME
nitrous makes power :-)

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell