2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

programmers compared

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The thing that you have to understand about these programmers, and more specifically the PCM in general, is that the tuning system for these trucks is not as dynamic as it is for vehicles with a MAF system on them. The tech on the Dodge engines is older and doesn't adequately or acurrately register modifications made to the engine. The PCM basically has to be "told" what's being modified by way of new parameters and then it can function to maximize those mods. It has some input from various sensors as to what's going on in the engine but not nearly to the level of detail that the MAF systems do. That's not to say you won't notice a difference when you make a modification, you just haven't maximized it.

That's why the Superchips and Hypertech tuners can't compare to the SCT tuners in the hands of a good tech. They're great for pulling more efficiency out of a bone stock engine. But as soon as you start opeing the exhaust, cutting runners, swapping TB's, installing headers, throwing on some high ratio RR's on, swap cams, add hiflow heads, boring .030 over and stroking it, running boost, etc., you're throwing the engine way out of parameters, and the PCM can't compensate, it doesn't have the correct data tables to adjust for the new specs.

Since those canned tuners are operating on stock specs, the benefit of them goes down with each new modification. If you're slow-rolling bone stock and happy that way, get some Superchips or hypertech love, they're very nice tuners, with some nice little features in them. But, if you're throwing money into the engine for more power, you might as well throw an extra $500 at it and get that last few ponies out of what you're doing.

Case and point: I have a SCT tuner, have had it for over 6 months now. Hemifever wrote me a 87 octane econo tune and a 93 octane performance tune. When I ran the 87 octane tune with the remainder of the gas in my truck, the 87 octane tune beat the superchips unit I ran HANDS DOWN! It wasn't even close. The 93 octane tune was even better. It did have one problem though. A slight ping at 1400 RPM's right when it kicked down into overdrive. One email to hemifever and 3 hours later he set me a fix via email. I put it on the programmer, and BAM, ping gone. Price $0.00.

Last week I emailed Hemifever about putting gibson shorty headers on the truck. I sent him the old 93 octane tune back so he could reference it to tweak it if need be. He wrote me back that it wouldn't need tweaked for just the headers, BUT he updated the 93 octane file anyway, (I guess with a little more magic he's learned over the last few months.) He asked if it pulls off the line any harder.

It does, WAY harder! It's feels like I dropped down another gear size to 4.56's. This little 318 is a stump-pulling son-of-a-fatherless-child. Price for all that goodness: $0.00.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:02 AM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1997 and i cant find any

Old 10-04-2008, 11:30 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i knew that the sct has to be better. it takes into account for all the mods we do. i am planning on the sct in the future after a few more mods. i am just wanting to compare all 3 of them. its a little quest that i am on.kinda like a mpg test that everyone likes to do,just with programmers.i only have a few more mods in plan.get my underdrive pulley installed, 1.7rr (since i ditched the cam swap idea),headers, and exhaust.thats about it.maybe power wire and airram air scoop.then its on to finish the cosmetics on the truck. was gonna do some forced injection but i donnt think i want to spend that much money.

just like to say that both programmers are very easy to use. the hypertech is a little easier though. both of them are just up and down and select what you want.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:25 PM
tazman6789
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what exactly is the sct programmer ur talking about? are you talking about like the computer readers a shop would have?. like a genisys? if so where and how can i get the program needed for the genisys cause i have one at my work.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Old 10-05-2008, 06:03 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

no decals with the superchip.and i love stickers.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:41 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

You get a sticker and a chrome truck tag with the SCT. With flames on it!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

^^^^^^sweet,you just sold me on it, beings there are stickers.why didnt you tell me that before.lol. you have got to let people know these things.lol

Last edited by talon6; 10-05-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Visious 318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$599.00 You have got to be kidding! Then have to have the program Installed on in by a dealer what a crock. Just sell me the data link cable and the software for the laptop and I'll do it myself. I would spend $300 for a power programer but this is outragous. I can remember when you were getting riped off bad if you payed $250 for a burned chip.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

What do you think you're gonna pay for those gears you're gonna put in just to get it to feel like stock because you had to put big boy tires on it?

Quick Reply: programmers compared