2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Want to make sure I'm getting the right part

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:44 PM
robert.d.truitt
Location: Chillicothe, OH (my wife drug me here kicking and screaming from KS. Go CATS!!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to make sure I'm getting the right part

There is a U-Joint right at the hub assembly on my 4X4 '01 Ram. When I went and asked the parts store for this U-Joint they looked at me like I had something growing out of my head. Is that not called a U-Joint? If not what is it called?

Old 10-05-2008, 01:06 PM
dodgeguy97
Professional

(yes try asking for front right axel u-joint) these parts store's will hire anybody and most of them have no clue what there doing

Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Get a good brand like Spicer! I replaced them once with cheapos and they only lasted two years before rusting solid. And I live in a desert! I went to the semi parts shop and got genuine Spicer joints and they're beefy!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Metal King 8989

Originally Posted by dodgeguy97
(yes try asking for front right axel u-joint) these parts store's will hire anybody and most of them have no clue what there doing
i take offense to that as a parts store employee.....
that stuff only happens at auto zone

the reason these u joints arent such a common part anymore is because most behicles have switched to CV(constant velocity) drive shafts. these are void of a u joint at the hub unit.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:38 AM
dodgeguy97
Professional

Originally Posted by Metal King 8989

the reason these u joints arent such a common part anymore is because most behicles have switched to CV(constant velocity) drive shafts. these are void of a u joint at the hub unit.
lol no offense to you i use to manage advance auto parts and today i see some shady guy's working at all store's not saying all you guy's

Old 10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Viper37
Banned

Originally Posted by Metal King 8989
And Kragen, and NAPA and everywhere else.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

It isn't just the parts shops, it is everywhere. The first tranny shop I called about servicing my transmission didn't mention band adjustment in their procedure. When I asked about it, he said that it wasn't necessary. I replied that it is recommended in my owner's manual. His answer was that with these newer transmissions, it is no longer required.

I politely thanked him for his time and made a mental note to NEVER use that transmission shop and steer others clear of it.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Yeah, there are some real winners out there. Back to the topic though, it is called a U-joint, sometimes refered to an axle joint in their systems. If the guy was any where near his worth he'd have pulled the book and had you point out what you needed in a diagram when he didnt understand what you were asking for.. my 2 cents.

Add another vote for just going and finding a spicer joint. They really aren't that much (if any) more expensive than the parts houses carry and a much higher quality (imho).

Quick Reply: Want to make sure I'm getting the right part