2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny growling at me

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:06 AM
oiler
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny growling at me

1200 miles on reman 46re and it starts making a growling sound. It is slowly getting worse. It will do it when cold, drive or reverse, only upon acceleration from dead stop and only at about 700 too 1000 rpm. I can duplicate it while holding brake and feeding it throttle. It drives perfect, shifts great, and is just starting to become noticable when warm. It almost sounds like a heat shield vibrating against the exhaust but I eliminated that by crawling under it while my wife held the gas, very scary. To get to the point, when the shop is scratching they'er heads and telling me ''I'm not sure what that is?'', any one have any thoughts? Sorry post is so long, just trying to get all the info out there. Thanks. By the way, 1st tranny I got from these guys lasted about 20 miles.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then why did you go back for another?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

I suspect because it was a warranty situation.

Advice: Get a refund, go to a differnet shop. I wouldn't waste my time or effort.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 for Sharpsshooter.

Tranny shops either know what they are doing, or have no clue. Most have no clue, it seems, and just want your $$$.

Just ask 01DodgeRam360.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jason.w
+1 for Sharpsshooter.

Tranny shops either know what they are doing, or have no clue. Most have no clue, it seems, and just want your $$$.

Just ask 01DodgeRam360.
That's no lie. I asked around for recommendations for a local shop to rebuild mine, and then I pretty much grilled the mechanic about what they do, how they do it, and all that. The chain transmission shops, IMHO, are the worst. I've witnessed people take their vehicle back 3-5 times before the transmission finally works properly.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:46 PM
oiler
Professional

When I give them 1500 hundred bucks for a tranny and they give me a warrenty, I'm gonna go back when I have a problem. The shop was recommened by several shops because they are former dodge techs. I'm just trying to help get it right. I'm sure they enjoy warrenty work.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Shovel

My 98 did the same thing. Changed the converter and it went away. But whats not to say that something else was loose and retightened when I put it back together.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 PM
oiler
Professional

I just got off the phone with the shop and they are thinking cat as well. Gonna pick it up and drive it since they are closed all next week for vacation. No inspection here in my parts, any ideas on what to to to with the cat? Possibly something I could do in the driveway?

Quick Reply: Tranny growling at me