2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weird noise when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:59 PM
r3d47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation weird noise when turning left

Vehicle: Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4x4 Laramie Sport 200Kmiles

Q: This truck makes a swirling metallic noise close to the axle when steering left but doesnt seem to be rotating as fast as the axle or tire when driving. When inspected by the eye it doesn't have any noticeable damage however can be heard inside the cabin when making a left and increases in noise volume when further pressed into the left direction. The steering wheel has some play in it! When making the left turn there is an apparent portion of slack before it starts to turn in either direction. Weird enough though when traveling in a left direction the noise seems to disappear momentarily whence directed towards right and placed in this free slack while the truck continues in a left direction. Oh and the slack is more apparent when traveling in a straight line making interstate travel more like an exercise from correcting it constantly.I put a new monroe steering stabilizer on it but its done nothing for the thing at all. I had an alignment done and the steering is still off. A not so pick of the litter mechanic told me that and I quote "Yep thats as good as I can get that their steering because all dodge trucks have some sorta play in them!" I paid 65$ for an alignment but I got took on the deal. He never touched the steering box and when I got all up in his cheerioes about what he was doing he tried to sway me with technical terms I still today believe he didnt know anything about! Baffled at the weird noise I checked to see if it was the sidewall of the tire rubbing against the splash guard but newp not even one rub scuff.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ima say UJOINT the one behind the hub, thats what mine did before it snapped and well bent my axle shaft and other wonderful things. Not for sure though.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U-Joint or brake pads, possibly your bearings also might be causing the noise.

As far as the dodge steering, there are many places to look. First off, the intermediate shaft tends to have slack because the OEM is poorly made (shocker). The steering gear boxes are also junk, then you have the trac-bar ball joint that wears quickly.

With the truck off do you have a lot of slack, do you ever get a popping in the steering when turning or hitting bumps? then check your intermediate shaft. You can check it while the truck is off, pop the hood and grab it and rotate it and lift if up and down, and watch your steering wheel. It should move with it with no play. if there is no slack there then its something below.

Gearbox, not really sure how to check that, since mine was rebuilt when I got the truck, but I guess have someone start the truck and turn the steering and watch for slack, but while you are there, watch the ball joint on the trac-bar. Any slack will cause the wandering.

Then check all your ball joints, and steering linkages for slop.

Also, bad bearings and worn tires will cause steering issues.

best of luck

Last edited by 98DodgeRam1500; 10-06-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: weird noise when turning left