2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Dodge Ram Help/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008 | 01:04 PM
Dodgeman000
Professional

Dont forget about adjustment. Keep your bands adjusted properly. If not your gonna end up with a rebuild. You can also get a trans go shift kit. They tend to conserve the life of the clutch packs.

Old 10-07-2008 | 06:35 PM
kurt85
|
Talking Thanks

Thanks so much for all your help guys. I really appreciate it. I will get ontop of getting all my fluids changed. Ive also dont some research with the tranny. Looks like there are Valve Body kits that increase the life of the tranny. Im sure my truck has the cooler because it does have the tow package but i will make sure to goto a dodge dealership here to make sure. Are there better coolers for it? Ive also heard that alot of problems come from the torque converter. can i get a stronger and or better torque converter. With the gears also, 4.56 would be better, im guessing these are more expensive. And again thanks so much for all your help! Thank you!!!

Old 10-07-2008 | 10:17 PM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

While others may disagree, I WOULD suggest getting the tranny fluid completely flushed. A change in fluid will only replace about 50% of the old fluid. A flush will remove almost all of the old fluid and potential particles. I have heard stories about how a complete flush can kill the tranny, but I believe that to be more of an exception than a rule.

An upgrade to the valve body is not a bad idea, it has the potential to extend the life of the tranny.

I have 128K on my tranny and I just opted to have the valve body upgraded along with a flush and band adjustment. It has seemed to help the tranny. All told it was $700 at the local shop for all of the work. When it comes time to rebuild, they will credit me the cost of the valve body work off the cost of the rebuild if I take it back to them.

Quick Reply: 01 Dodge Ram Help/Advice