2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Rammer1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Type

I had a new radiator installed a few months ago and the mechanic put the regular GREEN antifreeze in. He said I should ONLY use the GREEN type antifreeze!

Does it make a difference?

All the brands I have seen say they are all compatible with ANY color antifreeze and/or type. Who should I believe???

Last edited by Rammer1500; 10-09-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy is mechanic, and he alway told me NOT to use the red color antifreeze because it will turn into acid eventually, i don't know if this is true. i've i always use green antifreeze...(green has been around along time with a problems). the truck came with the red so,, i changed that. hope i helped

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

Use the standard type, color is immaterial. Normally was green, but comes pale yellow now. Just don't use Dexcool, the orange type.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Green is the regular old coolant. The other yellow's your talking about I believe are compatible. But the Orangeish color is Dex-cool (I believe its now the standard in all GM products). From my understanding its suppose to be more environmentally friendly, I dont think it does any better or worse of a job then the green stuff.

But If your using the green stuff, DO NOT mix in dex-cool. They dont migle well and the reaction over time will cause this thick brownish foam/sludge to form and build up and that over time will reduce how well the coolant works. And if this happens you will need you entire system flushed.. and that is just more money you will have to spend.

PS: Checkout The local Dollar general or family dollar stores. They normally have antifreeze (and windshield washer fuild) way cheaper then Walmart or the auto stores... My Local has Prestone 50/50 and concentrate for 3 bucks a gallon..

Hope this helps ya out.

Last edited by Kindschi; 10-09-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 PM
dodgeguy97
Professional

do not use dexcol gm use's it and its hard on there engine's thats why there changing intake gaskets and water pumps all the time . 2nd gen dodge's came with green and yes the yellow is compatible but if you flush the system good you can use the chrysler pink thats in the newer vechicle's its less corrosive cost more just stay with the green cheaper

Quick Reply: Coolant Type