2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 dodge ram 1500 computer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 PM
cessnajfb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dodge ram 1500 computer replacement

Symptom: truck dies instantaneously while going down the road and displays "no bus" in the odometer window. When it began doing this it only did this when it was really hot outside (95f +) but now it can die any time (59F the other morning). Sometimes it will start after 1 minute and sometimes it takes 45 minutes.

I've replaced the crank shaft pos sensor, cam shaft pos sensor, coil, and coil wire. I've switched the wiper relay with the fuel pump relay and cleaned every contact in the inline fuse box next to the battery. I've supported the plugs going into the power train control module (computer). When it is dead and you try to start it it has 0psi fuel pressure and then suddenly it will show 49psi and it starts and runs perfectly.

I think the computer is shutting down the fuel pump. If the fuel pump was out, I don't think I would see the "no bus" message like these poor 99 Durango people

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewmorecom...w_41149_1.html
(this is the most concentrated thread I've found related to the 99 dodge pcm problem)

SO HERE'S THE QUESTION:
I think I'm going to replace the computer, the only parts store in my area that say's they can get a pcm is Orielly's and they get theirs from A1Cardone. You pay $325 plus $70 core deposit, Orielly's sends A1Cardon your VIN and your mileage, they program the pcm and send it to Orielly.
Has anyone purchased and used a PCM from A1Cardone?

What are my other options?

Thanks,

Frank

Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you're right, sounds like a computer problem.

I'd keep an eye on eBay. Sometimes they have guys parting out trucks on there, and they usually sell the computers for less than $300.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:37 AM
TXcharger07
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a mopar performance pcm from somebody, upgrade the truck.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 PM
cessnajfb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has no one bought a pcm lately?

Dodge wants $602 + tax for a stock replacement.

I found an ECM outfit in Grand Prairie, TX that wants $295 to rebuild mine with a lifetime warranty. www.autoecmelectronics.com They've been in business since 1998. Anybody heard of them?

Thanks,

Frank

Quick Reply: 99 dodge ram 1500 computer replacement