2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo upgrade help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 AM
de8212
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo upgrade help.

Looking to possibly replace my door speakers (and maybe the tweeters in the a pillars) in my 99 Ram quad cab. First of all, does anyone know the size/depth of the door speakers?
I wanted to replace them and get an amp.

I have alot of questions but would love some general input from those that have upgraded as to what they went with and how they like the sound.

BTW I currently have an Alpine head unit and I do not want to add a sub. I just want a nice clean, strong mid bass system.

I went to a local stereo shop yesterday and here is what they recommended.

Everything is Rockford Fosgate.

RF P1692 6x9's - $79.99
P1T Tweeters (to replace the factory ones) $99.99
and either a P200.2 amp (50x2) $199.99
or
P400.4 (50x4) $259.99 incase I want to replace the rear speakers in the future.

Labor is:
$60 on the speakers
$65 on the amp
$60 for wiring kit.

He said those 6x9's would fit in with no issue.

I have read several places online recommending the Infinity Reference 6x9's and say they fit it just barely. Only place locally that sells them is Best Buy. But then I wouldn't know what tweeters to replace the factory ones with.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:02 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not do a nice set of 6.5" components if you are going to run a amp and just mount the tweeters in the factory location?

Old 10-12-2008, 02:18 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

i run infinity kappa 6x9s 3way components in my door, and they fit without any problems, and they sound awesome, i run about 100watts through each and its nice, i dont have any tweeters, but i know infinity offers some 1" dome tweeters that might fit, but really if you get a decent set of components then you dont need the tweeters.

the reference series is a good series, im not very partial to fosgate, but its all personal preference

Old 10-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, it is good that your not a fosgate fan. I had their products for awhile, and I wasnt impressed. I run Inifinity Kappa Perfect 6X9 in my door already. Why would you want to change the infinity that you already have?
As far as an amp goes I would recomend you look at Power Accoustics. I have 500 watt amp for the door speaksers and a 1200 watt for the subs. Had the same amps for over 6 years now, havent had a problem with them yet.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:09 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
well, it is good that your not a fosgate fan. I had their products for awhile, and I wasnt impressed. I run Inifinity Kappa Perfect 6X9 in my door already. Why would you want to change the infinity that you already have?
As far as an amp goes I would recomend you look at Power Accoustics. I have 500 watt amp for the door speaksers and a 1200 watt for the subs. Had the same amps for over 6 years now, havent had a problem with them yet.
He probably want's to change them because the factory Infinity system sucks. They are not up to par with the Infinity's you added. I like Infinity as well as Polk. I run Polk DB's as it was a close fit but they worked where as I don't know that the Momo's would have. I've run Momo's in another vehicle in the past and been impressed with both. There are other brands that make good speakers but those are the two fairly good priced ones I like.

I also have a older set of Alpine 6x9"s in a Honda that have been good to me and are nice speakers. I have a set of Pioneer 6.5"s up front that are of the same age and I can't say that I'm impressed with them but they are okay.

The truck I'm running Polk DB 6.5" components up front with the tweeters mounted in the door. The factory tweeters are still in the pillar but not hooked up. Then I'm running Polk DB 6.5" coaxials in the rear. I ran them in the front with stock rears for a bit first. I'm then using a Alpine 70watt x4 rms amp to power them. Then for bass I have 2 12" Infinity subs powered by a 500watt rms Alpine amp. All this is run by a Alpine 9830 head unit.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:31 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced my factory Infinity speakers with Infinity Reference speakers. I went 6x9 in the front doors and 5.25" in the rear. Now that I've read up more on it, if I could do it over again, I may have put 6.5" in the rear (I guess it does fit) and 6.5" in the front, since a round speaker has less distortion than a 6x9.

However, that being said, I love my Infinitys. Especially once I got them hooked up to my new Pioneer head unit, they scream.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:02 PM
de8212
Professional

Thanks for all the input.

Just to try and answer some questions. I considered components but the guy said since I am not adding a sub, 6x9's would be a bit better in my situation. They should give a little bit more mid bass than 6.5" .
I have read alot of good things about infinity (ref and kappa) but only Best Buy carries them locally so I haven't had a chance to go there and hear them.

I am not a fosgate fan per say, that's just what one local guy carries and it sounded good in their showroom.

I'm just confused as to which way to go. I could order online and install myself but I hate running the wires, etc. I did it years ago and would rather just drop it off and come back a few hours later to a finished job.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

i have the infinity cappa series in my truck i had a bit of a clearance issue in my 00 ram 1500, the speakers are a little too deep, they are stuck up against my window track, and arnt fitting in very well but they are in there, and they sound great, as far as amping products i would go with fosgate for the amp, or infinite amp as well, the speakers will sound WAY better with an amp. i used to work for best buy i set up a display at our store. button A was factory speakers on an aftermarket head unit. button B was Infinity speakers on same unit as A, button C was amped infinity speakers, button D was amped speakers and a pair of small subs.... by far the best sound was the amped infinitys with the pioneer head unit.

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade help.