2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dakota 5.2 swaped into 2000 ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:49 AM
zarenb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 dakota 5.2 swaped into 2000 ram 1500

Hello all , and great site this is. Very informative.
I just completed a swap. A 96 dakota 5.2 into my 2000 ram 1500 2wd .All went well except for a few things.I had to reuse the original coil as the plug was diff. Same with the alternator,injectors,1 sensor ontop of the block at the rear and distributer needed to be swapped over. Got her all together,started right up and threw a code po132. It was doing the loud hissing noise through the throttle body iac valve. So I replaced the front o2 sensor and she smoothed right out. Next day I went to start her and the and got the hissing/surging immediatly upon start up (open loop).!? I dont believe the iac is controlled in open loop, or is it? Any how I let er' run for a 1/2 hr and no codes are showing up. She has no power when accelerating. Acts as its in limp mode. Any ideas as to what might be wrong? Also when I swapped the distributer, I never timmed the engine. Does rotating the dist affect the timming? I thought I read it did not.
Another thing is the 96 5.2 had different vacuum ports comming out of the intake and the breather was on the opposite side. now I am not using the breather because I junked the engine before swapping out the valve cover grommit. Passenger side valve cover has pcv only and driverside has oil fill and what appears to be another pcv which I have broken and cannot get out. Do I need to add a breather? Could this or the timming be affecting the engine? Do I need the air filter assembly on to operate properly?
THANKS FOR ANY HELP OFFERED!!

Last edited by zarenb; 10-12-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
zarenb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did not know u were so busy.sorry

Quick Reply: 96 dakota 5.2 swaped into 2000 ram 1500