2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Probs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumpper369
im going to work on this tom(friday) all the books say check the preload torque before u take the yoke and stuff apart. now on urs I see u say to after u put the new stuff in but shouldnt I get the torque measurement before I take the pinion apart? and also did u have any prob getting the diff locknut tool? you have been a big help MonteC
Youre not going to be able to get the preload measurement... The book is assuming everything is in good working order. Your rear end is not. Your pinion bearings are shot, i wouldnt trust that torque reading. You can set up new bearings off of the bad bearing torque specs. If you look around you can find the proper torque spec, im surprised your book doesnt tell you.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Thumpper369
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Un freaking believeable....... this whole time the prob was the pinion nut was loose.... i went to take the pinion out last night and the nut was finger tight.... all the bearings are still good....so since im use the old bearings and a new crush sleeve what should I set the preload to? should i set it around 20 ft lbs?

Quick Reply: Tranny Probs