2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

erratic idling

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Westy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default erratic idling

I have a 1999 5.2 L Ram that has an idling problem. When I am doing 60 on the highway the rpm fluxuate from 1700 to 2200. This happens only in the warmer months. I live in Ontario and all winter this doesn't happen. When I first start the truck it also fluxuates. I had the throttle body cleaned and it worked for a couple of day's then the problem started again. I then put in a new IAC motor and again it worked for a couple of days then same prob again. Running out of ideas. Wierd that it only happens in the warmer months. Thanks

Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Chris@AutoLeatherInc
Official Site Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Westy, Welcome to DF!! Check out the Dodge Ram section for help with your truck, they can help you pin it down.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I bet your IAC might be bad again. IIRC, sometimes you have to go through a couple IACs before you get a good one.

Others on here that have replaced their's (I haven't) will give you their opinions as to what brands to stay away from and where is the best place to get a replacement.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well when you are going down the highway at 60 it's not idling. So usually when it does that it 's the TPS.(and it might even shift funny) And you also say it's fluxuates when idling, but not stall.(which is what a bad IAC usually does). I'd look more to the TPS. But don't just throw money at it. If the IAC you have is still under warranty, replace it first.

Quick Reply: erratic idling