2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
de8212
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing headlights?

Are there any detailed instructions/tutorials on how to remove the headlights on a 99 Ram?

Mine are starting to turn yellow and I was just wanting to replace them. Also the fog lights are turning yellow.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh not that i know of there is a couple screws to take it off, its really easy to do

Old 10-20-2008, 10:10 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

IIRC...

There are three bolts. Two along the bottom, one on either corner of the headlamp, both kind of between the bumper and the headlamp itself; and one at the top inner corner, between the headlamp and the grille. Remove those three bolts, remove the headlight bulbs, and pull outward. There is a sort of "tab" also holding it in, don't worry, as long as you pull straight out steadily it will eventually come out. After you get it off, remove the signal bulb before you try to pull anything else away.

Someone correct me if I missed something.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it helps to push down on the bumper a little when pulling out the lamp

Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Release hood latch and open hood.
Remove push-in fastener attaching seal to radiator closure panel.
Remove park and turn signal lamp.
Remove screws attaching top of headlamp module to radiator closure panel Headlamp
From behind front bumper, remove screws attaching bottom of headlamp module to radiator closure panel.
Separate headlamp module from radiator closure panel.
Disengage wire connector from headlamp bulb(s) Headlamp-Sport
Separate headlamp module from vehicle

Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM
de8212
Professional

OK, now anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket replacements? I do not want expensive (HIDS???, etc).

I saw these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...94#ht_2322wt_0

They say they do not include instructions and also need professional installation. I really want something that is simple and goes in easily.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:29 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

They don't require professional installation, they just "recommend" it. Gotta do their mechanic buddies a favor and try to earn them some money too.

It is easier if you remove the front bumper, but can be squeezed in without it. You remove three bolts, IIRC, two from the underside of the headlamps, one from the top inner corner. Make sure and remove the headlamp bulbs. Pull straight out, strongly. There is a plastic tab that will pop out, and then they come free. Before completely setting it aside, you must remove the signal bulb (only accessible once the bracket, or signal housing, is free).

Those lamps are the black version of mine. Once the old ones are out, insert the signal bulbs, the headlamp bulbs, and then pop right in. They are one piece, not bracket, headlamp housing, and signal housing. Screw in the three bolts, tighten about a crank or so past finger tight (not to tight, they are just plastic ya know), and wa-la.

Someone correct me if I missed anything.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 PM
de8212
Professional

Thanks Jason

I have seen some of your posts before and appreciate your help. Are these the chrome ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-01...mZ300267796086

They seem identical to me but the price is a little cheaper. Now that I see the chrome, I can't make up my mind.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes, those are the chrome units I have.

You can also click on my signature to see other pics of the chrome units. It will take you to my cardomain site which will have those.

Quick Reply: Replacing headlights?