2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new exhaust but ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 PM
madman269
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new exhaust but ????

ok same truck 96 1500 with the 5.9....now the truck was purchased in arizona...but right after purchase the original owner moved to calif.....the truck says must meet federal emissions on the tag under the hood...doesnt say anything about meeting calif emissions...so can i get a 49 state cat or does it have to be one made for calif....

Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM
dodgewilltravel
Rookie

I would think if the truck is not going back to calif. I would get what you wanted.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 PM
oiler
Professional

My sport was originaly sold in AZ. The original cat was dual in, single out. 1 o2 sensor pre cat, one post cat. I doubt it was any different from the fed reg. to the Cali reg. California will fail you on a visual inspection if it does not meet federal requirments. Az is just as strict as Ca. At least in Phoenix it is.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:14 PM
madman269

no the truck is in cali...has been since bought...it is like they bought the truck and moved to calif.....1996..so i was wondering since the truck is in calif now....do i have to get a calif cat....was wanting a high flow......and noticed that 49 state cats and calif cats have a huge price difference......and yeah it is a dual in single out....thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 PM
oiler
Professional

As long as the truck was originally purchased in Az., it should fall under federal regs. 49 states includes Az. As long as all sensors are in place and there are no check engine lights, I don't see a problem. I grew up there and know what dealing with the smog ****'s is like. Now remember, I only registered and smogged Ca. trucks, I never attempted an out of state transfer before. Call a smog test station, they know better than I. If I can come up with more I'lll let you know.

Quick Reply: new exhaust but ????