2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Play

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:00 PM
BigRedDodge99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Play

Hello,
I'm new to this so here goes my first question. I just traded my little Ranger for a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport with off road Package. I have noticed that while driving it there seems to be a lot of excessive play in the stearing wheel. The Dealer I purchased it from is willing to replace the stearing box. Does anyone know if this is the problem and will a new stearing box correct it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Snafu
Default RE: Front End Play

Get under it and check everything that moves. Bad steering boxes are common, but Trac Bars are even more common. Definately check that. Also check ball joints and tie rod ends, those are both extremely common too.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:14 PM
BigRedDodge99
Rookie

I did jack it up and checked to the best of my limited ability. Ball Joints and tie rod ends appear ok. How do you check the trac bar?

Old 02-08-2005, 12:28 AM
macsnjets

I can't really comment on what might cause it and what might fix it. I'm way too new to this truck to give any advice aside from these trucks are really thirsty or they like to visit gas stations but I cant say I didn't know that before I bought it. All I know is before I bought my 2001 I read on how previous to 2000, the Ram trucks took more than normal driver input to keep the truck heading straight on the road. Supposedly several improvements were made in 2000 to both ride and handling. Just my 2 cents. Can anybody confirm this ?

Old 02-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Snafu

ORIGINAL: BigRedDodge99

I did jack it up and checked to the best of my limited ability. Ball Joints and tie rod ends appear ok. How do you check the trac bar?
Find the frame mount for the track bar, it's on the bottom of the driver's side framerail, inboard of the coil spring. Have someone move the steering wheel about a quarter turn to either side while you look at the frame end of the bar. If it's bad, you'll know it. It'll be moving all over the place.

And no, these trucks to not take more than normal input to drive straight. If they're properly aligned and and all parts are in good shape, they track very well.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:30 PM
BigRedDodge99
Rookie

Thanks for all the advice, The Big Red Dodge is going into the shop on Monday night to get the steering box replaced. Next will be the trac bar. Hopefully that takes care of the problem for a while. Thanks again all.

Quick Reply: Front End Play