2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

disturbator problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 03:38 PM
sifon187
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disturbator problems

I replaced my disturbator and when i went to put the new one in my timing was messed up. I had marked were the rotors positions was before i took the old one out, but since i was working on it out in the rain...my markings were washed off. i had to guess were exactly my markings were. i put the new one in but ny truck wont start. there is no firing at all. ive tried moving the rotors position but with no use. the TDC markings are no were to be found on the timing case...so i cant do it from there.i am lost at what to do. help please

Old 02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Snafu
Default RE: disturbator problems

Take out the #1 spark plug. Put your thumb over the spark plug hole and rotate the crank clockwise by hand until you feel the cylinder building compression against your thumb. Put a screwdriver thru the plug hole and rotate the crank in the same direction until you feel that the #1 piston is at top dead center. Line the rotor up with the #1 plug wire and lock it down. You'll be close enought to fire.

Before you do this though, put a timing light on it and make sure it has spark. If you did this in the rain, you may have gotten something wet and nuked it. Also make sure the plug wires are in the correct order.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:16 PM
P.B.
Rookie

MORE THAN LIKELY, IF YOU REMEMBER THE VACINITY THE ROTOR WAS FACING BEFORE YOU PULLED THE DISTRIBUTOR, YOU ARE 180 DEGREES OFF. WHAT HAPPENS IS EVERY PLUG FIRES 2 TIMES IN A COMPLETE CRANK ROTATION. YOU PROBABLY LINED UP THE ROTOR WITH THE #1 CYLINDER AT BDC (BOTTON DEAD CENTER). BY DOING AS SNAFU DESCRIBED ABOVE, THAT WILL PUT YOU ON THE RIGHT SPARK CYCLE. (#1 & TCD)

Old 02-11-2005, 05:33 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im just concerned at my cars lack of a dis-tur-ba-tor...

Old 02-11-2005, 05:45 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

Maybe you should line it up with the master.
AKA the mas-tur-ba-tor.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Snafu

ORIGINAL: P.B.

MORE THAN LIKELY, IF YOU REMEMBER THE VACINITY THE ROTOR WAS FACING BEFORE YOU PULLED THE DISTRIBUTOR, YOU ARE 180 DEGREES OFF. WHAT HAPPENS IS EVERY PLUG FIRES 2 TIMES IN A COMPLETE CRANK ROTATION. YOU PROBABLY LINED UP THE ROTOR WITH THE #1 CYLINDER AT BDC (BOTTON DEAD CENTER). BY DOING AS SNAFU DESCRIBED ABOVE, THAT WILL PUT YOU ON THE RIGHT SPARK CYCLE. (#1 & TCD)
Actually, if he's 180* out the piston will still be at TDC, it'll just be on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. What you described would be correct for a 2 stroke motor.

By the way, learn to live without your caps lock button. [sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 02-11-2005, 07:49 PM
mardela
Rookie

Why were you replacing the disturbator to begin with? Just curious if you had this problem prior to replacement.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:24 AM
P.B.
Rookie

Your right. Sorry about the caps lock, but why must I be like everyone else?

Quick Reply: disturbator problems