2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust

So today I made the decision to once again change my exhaust. I purchased a flowmaster 40 series mufflers and a set of 4"x18" stainless steel slash cut exhaust tips. I made an exhaust appointment for next Thursday. I'm having him start fresh from the catalytic converter. I'm going to ask him to place the muffler as far away from the cab as possible as well. Then I'm having him put an exhaust tip behind each rear tire again. I just really missed that setup. I missed how my exhaust used to reflect off walls and cars, and I missed the growl of a flowmaster muffler. I'm hoping the 40 series won't crackle as bad *** the 44, plus I have a cat now. I'm also hoping that with the muffler place more so under my bed as opposed to near the cab it may soften that deadly drone. I'm excited to get my exhaust tips behind the rear tires again too. The only reason I went out the back was because my tips looked like big floppy ****** after I sized the tires down. These tips should look much more proportional with the 285s, they are 6" shorter than the ones I have on the truck now. I'll shoot some videos when I have it installed.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

oh lord, here we go again.

I give it 3 months.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah tell me about it. I've just about exercised every exhaust option. I've tried the Super 44 with a gutted cat, and I've tried magnaflow with a gutted cat and a cat, and I've tried it out the back. Took a lot of trial and error for me to make my mind up, but this should be the best sounding exhaust of them all. Headers + Y-pipe, magnaflow cat, 40 series further away from cab, routed behind each rear tire. I think it will look the cleanest and sound the best. Can't wait.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

That should sound good...but I've decided that I'll never go back to having a muffler again. I like the sound of no muffler and it's only obnoxiously loud when you really want it to be. Otherwise it sounds really good and mean. You should try that with the cat on there some time you may like it too...

Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I did hear your truck, and I thought it sounded great. There is just something I really like about a chambered muffler though. Worse case if I don't like it, I'll do exactly that. I think the reason I've had such bad droning is the placement of my muffler, it sits half way under my cab and bed, so it's literally right underneath the backseat floorboards. I'm pretty sure if I have him put the muffler about half way underneath the bed of the truck, it will have less of a tenancy to drone so bad. Plus I have a catalytic converter back on the truck, so that should help too.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you not like the chrome tips? I can't wait to hear how you like this setup though. Should be a nice little setup. Do you not like your tips coming out the back. I think they really look nice like that. The out the sides I think looks good like you said with big tires but I'm not sure I like it as much with stock tires unless it's just pipe no big tips. I like out the back on stock looking trucks. To me it looks really good.

Oh btw have you had any trouble yet with the police for your window tint or has that all been good still? Do you leave them down most of the time or do you just not worry about it?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah should sound extremely loud and obnoxious...the way I like it lol. I think the exhaust tips should match up with the tires. They aren't exactly stock either. Stock tires are usually 255, 285 is a big street tire. If I go back, I would have gotten the 33/12.5/17 procomp all-terrains, but im just so determined in letting those losers at the transmission shop use excuses. My next set of tires I'm going wide like the old days.

No tint issues. I've even been pulled over. I just have the windows rolled down and have gotten lucky. In general I've run into very nice cops though, and 2/3 actually commented on the truck, lucky guy I guess. I'm just cautious with them. I roll them down when it's a nice day, and I keep an eye out for cops. So far so good and it's been 5 months now.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

you know the 40 is just as loud as the 44 right?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:51 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will love the 40... i have m ine right under the cab for maxium vibes... it's kinda like have a message while driving!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Yeah should sound extremely loud and obnoxious...the way I like it lol. .
i thought you were sick of it bein loud and hated the drone? Now you want it loud again?

Man with the money you waste... haha.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust